RTA Pass Information
Beginning with the Fall Semester 2016 Passes, all RTA passes will be stickers that will be affixed to your ID card. All eligible students must have the U-Pass sticker affixed to their CWRU student ID card by authorized university personnel.
The stickers will be placed on your ID card to the left of your picture. Do not try to move your sticker because it will become voided and you will need to purchase a replacement sticker at the full amount of the original price.
See this link on how to ride the RTA.
Case Western Reserve University is pleased to support the popular U-Pass program. A U-Pass allows students to ride free of charge on all Greater Cleveland RTA buses and rapid trains during each academic semester. The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) developed this program in the spring of 2001 and a vote of the student body approved the plan. A $25 activity fee is billed to each student each semester. Access Services administers the program. Summer Passes are available for $75.00 for all students at CWRU registered for summer classes or who are working on campus (email verification from full time CWRU employee needed before purchasing the pass).
The passes provide an excellent way to get to locations throughout the city where admission is free with CWRU student ID cards. The website at http://studentaffairs.case.edu/programs/freeaccess/ has more information about the Free Access program for CWRU students.
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL STUDENT U-PASS PROGRAM
Beginning Fall 2008, Graduate students are able to purchase a semester U-Pass for $75 from Access Services. This price is fixed per semester (including summer as a semester) and cannot be pro-rated, returned, or refunded.
The U-Pass program is available year round!
- For Fall & Spring Semesters students must be enrolled full time with at least 9 credit hours.
- Summer Semester, all students enrolled in at least 1 credit hour or who are working on campus (email verification from full time CWRU employee needed) are eligible to participate in the U-Pass program. Passes are $75.00 for all students during the summer semester.
Stickers are distributed at the beginning of both fall and spring semesters to all residents and commuter undergraduate students. For undergrad students residing in university housing, the RTA stickers will be issued at their assigned area office. Graduate and professional students must be registered (9 credit hours or more) and must come to Access Services to purchase their pass in person. ALL summer passes must be purchased at Access Services in Crawford Hall.
- Fall 2017 Semester Validation Dates: 8/10/17 - 1/17/18
- Spring 2018 Semester Validation Dates: 1/18/18 - 5/22/18
- Summer 2018 Semester Validation Dates: 5/23/18 - 8/8/18
Stickers will not be available for the following semester until a few days before it's start date. To know whether they are available, please contact Access Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You must be a student enrolled full time in the current semester.
- Present your valid Case ID card to an Access Services staff member at Crawford Hall, room 18.
Policies and Regulations
- A $25.00 U-Pass fee is automatically added to each undergraduate student’s account to support the U-Pass program. This fee is assessed each semester.
- Students must get a new U-Pass sticker every semester.
- A replacement U-Pass sticker can be obtained at the Access Services Office. If the sticker was lost while attached to a CaseOneCard, the cost of a new CaseOneCard is $50 and $100 respectfully for undergraduates and graduate students.
- The U-Pass program generates no revenue for the University, as a result, University personnel do not have the authority to waive the fee or make special exceptions.
Benefits to Students
- The cost of a U-Pass sticker has remained constant since its inception. The program has been renewed through 2018 and the negotiated cost will be held at $25.
- All full time undergraduate CWRU students share the benefits of the U-Pass program - a lessened demand for on-campus parking as students choose to take public transportation and a cost savings for those students who directly participate in the U-Pass ridership program.
- All undergraduate students registered for full time for or Graduate students taking at least 9 credit hours (nine credits) are eligible to utilize the U-Pass program. You can use RTA transit to travel on all routes anytime throughout Cuyahoga County, including downtown, the airport, a ball game, etc. Your utilization of the U-Pass program is not limited to only University related activities.
Commuter Advantage for Faculty and Staff
This program allows eligible Faculty and Staff to purchase RTA monthly bus passes via payroll deduction. The payroll deduction option means that the expense for the pass will be paid with pre-tax dollars and can provide employees with a tax benefit of up to $200 per year when it is deducted from your paycheck. These passes are available at Access Services.
Passes may be purchased by the last business day of the previous month, for example a pass for September must be purchased by the last business day in August.
There is a 55% discount for all full-time employees making less than $50,000/year. For eligible employees to receive this discount, they must purchase their pass via payroll deduction. No discount can be applied via cash or credit card transactions. Nothing needs to be done or requested by the employee to receive this discount as it will automatically be applied to your paycheck.