Cultures of Exhibition I: National Extensions
Chair: Kurt Koenigsberger, English, Case Western Reserve
1. " 'New Journeys Every Week': Fuhrmann's Kaiserpanorama and the Age of 'Accelerated Colonialism'" Ilinca Iurascu, Comp.
Lit, Univ. of Pennsylvania
2. " 'All Sorts and Conditions of Men': The Palace of Delight and the Dialectic of Spectacle and Publicity" Meredith Martin, Art History and Cinema, Univ. of Melbourne
3. "Ivory Balls and Porcelain Plates: Exhibiting China in Victorian London" Elizabeth Chang, English, Univ. of Missouri - Columbia
4. "Exhibiting the Colony, Suggesting the Nation: Japan/Taiwan 1935" Joseph R. Allen, Asian Languages and Literatures, Univ. of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Tanya Agathocleous, English, Yale Univ.
Cultures of Exhibition II: Global Circulations
Chair: Tanya Agathocleous, English, Yale Univ.
1. " 'Phantasmagorias of Capitalist Culture': Visual Technologies of Early Globalization in Walter Benjamin's Arcades Project " Rolf Goebel, German, Univ. of Alabama - Huntsville
2. "Going Postal: On Colonial Algeria" Leonard R. Koos, Univ. of Mary Washington
3. "From Rebels to Rickshaws: Early Cinematic Representations of the Chinese" Ross G. Forman, Asian and African Literatures, SOAS/UCL
"The Modern Historical Pageant: Commodifying Locality" Ayako
Yoshino, Waseda Univ.
Discussant: Kurt Koenigsberger, English, Case Western Reserve Univ.