Admission Procedures

The Mandel School catalog and application materials can be secured from the Office of Student Services, Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7164 or by calling 800-863-6772 or by visiting our website at

Students for full-time study are admitted in the fall semester. Applications are accepted on a rolling admissions basis but the latest application date is April 15 (July 1 for Intensive Weekend), though prospective students are strongly encouraged to apply early (December/January) for admission.

Advanced Standing

Advanced standing may be granted to students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in social work within the past seven years from an institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Students must have earned a grade of B or better in each social work foundation course for which advanced standing credit hours are given.

Proficiency Examinations

Students without a bachelor’s degree in social work may waive the foundation courses in policy, socio-behavioral theory, and research, by passing a proficiency examination. Successful completion of the exam(s) exempts the student from the requirement to complete the course(s). Elective course(s) may be substituted in order to fulfill graduation requirements. There is no fee or penalty associated with taking the proficiency exams. However, each exam may be taken only once. Exams are offered prior to the start of fall and spring semesters. Students must make reservations to take those exams with the Mandel School Admissions Office.


Students who are transferring to the Mandel School from another accredited graduate school of social work may apply for transfer credit for up to one full year of academic work and field education. Transfer students from social work programs must submit field work evaluations, official transcripts, and course syllabi.

In addition to the above, the following are required from those transferring from other schools of social work:

Transcript of all graduate social work education completed to date. If work is still in progress at time of application, you should send a list of additional courses to be completed in the first year.

An evaluation of first-year field experience performance from the dean, field education director or faculty advisor of the school.

Transfer credit (6 hour limite) may be given for related, but non-social work, coursework completed within the past five years. Credit hours must not have been applied toward a previous graduate degree. Students must have received a grade of B or better in any course for whichh transfer credit is sought.

International Students

Applicants from other countries follow the regular application procedure. International students must have completed available social work training in their own countries, and have had paid experience in the social welfare field prior to entering the professional degree program. International students are required to furnish results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered by the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey, U.S.A. Results of this test must be forwarded to the Office of Student Services. A student from abroad whose native language is English, who has completed his or her work in a foreign university where English is the language of instruction, or who has studied at or graduated from an American institution, is exempt from this requirement. Federal requirements mandate that all international students on J-1 visas purchase the medical insurance. No exceptions are allowed. All other students are strongly urged to carry health insurance of some kind.

All international applicants must submit to the university’s Office of International Students evidence of funding sources to fully finance the cost of education, housing, and transportation (approximately $12,000) for one year. Living expenses fo dependents, if applicable, must also be included, i.e. spouse $5,000 and child $3,000
All international applicants must submit to the Case Western Reserve Office of International Students evidence of funding sources to fully finance the cost of education, housing, and transportation. Applicants from other countries will be sent an additional form requiring them to provide evidence of financial resources sufficient to cover their anticipated expenses before acceptance can be finalized.

Students holding a, B.S.W. from their country of origin may be eligible for advanced standing. Applicants should contact the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) directly and ask to have their program reviewed. Please write to CSWE, 1725 Duke Street, Suite 500, Alexandria, VA 22314-3457.

An international applicant who holds a Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) degree for his or her country may request a credit review for tranfer credit. Howver, the student must complete at lest 27 hours of academic credit and three semesters of field credit (9 hours) at the Mandel School.


Financial Information


In the 2009-2010 academic year, tuition for the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences in the full-time master’s degree program (12-16 credit hours) is a flat rate of $33,000, or $1100 per credit hour.

A non-refundable tuition deposit of $100 is required of all master’s degree candidates at the time of acceptance. This deposit will be applied toward tuition for the degree program. Complete information about academic policies, procedures, and financial aid is available by contacting the Office of Student Services, Mandel School.