Writing an Ad for Faculty Positions
Download a Sample Advertisement (pdf)
Examples of wording that can be used in faculty position advertisements
Examples of minimum qualifications for the positions include:
A PhD in (insert field); "Previous teaching experience; "U. S. Board Certified; and "Specialized knowledge in (specify the knowledge required).
Open Rank Positions
Open rank positions must state the qualifications for each rank.
The following language can be used to attract a diverse candidate pool:
- "Interest in developing and implementing curricula that address multicultural issues;"
- "Academic experiences and interests in culturally diverse groups;"
- "Previous experience interacting with communities of color;"
- "Experience with a variety of teaching methods and/or curricular perspectives;"
- "The ability to speak a second language" or "Candidates who are fluent in (specific language) are preferred;"
- "The University is responsive to the needs of dual-career couples;" and
- "The University offers partner benefits."
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
The following statement must be included in all ads:
"In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply."
In accordance with the university's Affirmative Action Program, the following language must be used in all ads:
"Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office for Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity at 216.368.8877 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis."
If you need to modify the EEO Statement or Reasonable Accommodation Statement for any reason, please contact Karyn Newton prior to doing so for approval.