Procedure no. II-10a
Effective date: 01/01/2008
Related Policy: II-10, III-1
To build a successful working relationship through an orientation period.
For Staff: Hiring supervisor
- Newly hired full- and part-time senior staff and staff employees will work in an orientation period for three months. Employees who are transferred into a new position will also work in an orientation period for three months.
- Supervisors are responsible for developing a start-up plan that will include on-going job training and performance counseling during the three months.
- Supervisors are responsible for completing an evaluation on the employee's progress during the orientation period and at the completion of the orientation period. Included in the evaluation is a recommendation:
- to continue employment
- to extend the orientation period to a specific date
- to sever the employment relationship
- If the supervisor determines that it is necessary to extend the orientation period a completed evaluation form must be submitted to the Employee Relations office prior to the extension. If a supervisor determines that it is necessary to sever the employment relationship, either before or at evaluation time, a completed evaluation form must be submitted to the Employee Relations office prior to severing employment.
New Employee in Orientation
- Supervisors will prepare a written evaluation and discuss the new employee's performance and job expectations 45 days after employment and at the end of the orientation period (90 days).
- New employees who are informed of the intent to sever the employment relationship have the option to resign once they are advised of the performance deficiencies.
Employees Transferred From Another Case Position
- Supervisors will prepare a written evaluation and discuss the transferred employee's performance and job expectations 30 days, 60 days and 90 days after entry into the position.
- Transferred employees who are not successful in the new position may:
- apply for another position on campus through the internal employment opportunity program;
- apply for their former job if it is still available.
Download Orientation Review Form