University Closings for Holidays and Other Events
Policy no. II-13
Effective date: 07/01/2009
Scope: faculty, staff, and student employees
The university observes the following holidays by closing for business:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
- University-designated holiday(s)
- One (1) Personal Floating Holiday
Time Off for Holidays
- Active employees have the time off for the observed holiday, unless otherwise scheduled. When the holiday falls on a Saturday, the university will observe the holiday on the preceding Friday. When the holiday falls on a Sunday, the university will observe the holiday on the following Monday. Employees who work Monday through Friday will have the Friday or Monday off. Employees whose regular work day may be either Saturday or Sunday will have either the observed holiday or the actual holiday off. Scheduling of the day off will depend on necessary coverage and team coordination of that coverage.
- In the event that the observed holiday falls on the employee's normal day off, all full-time employees may schedule a paid day off within two weeks preceding or following the holiday.
- Exempt staff who are required to work on the observed holiday, will have the same amount of time off in the preceding or following two weeks.
- Temporary employees will have the time off without pay.
Personal Floating Holiday
- Active full-time and part-time employees are eligible to receive one (1) personal floating holiday each fiscal year after successful completion of their Orientation period.
- Eligible employees must obtain approval in advance when requesting a personal floating holiday. Supervisors have the authority to approve or deny the request.
- An unused personal floating holiday may not be carried over to the next fiscal year.
- Employees will not receive compensation for an unused personal floating holiday. For example, an unused personal floating holiday is not included in termination pay calculations.
Compensation For Holidays
- Full-time and part-time employees will be compensated at their normal rate of pay for their regular hours if the observed holiday falls on the employee's scheduled work day or during paid sick or vacation time.
- Holiday pay will apply to employees on paid leave.
- Nonexempt employees who are required to work on their scheduled holiday will be compensated at their normal rate of pay for the holiday plus one and one-half times their base rate for the amount of time worked.
- If temporary employees are required to work, they will receive straight time pay for the hours worked. Otherwise, temporary employees are excluded from holiday pay.
The university may announce other closings from time to time relating to national or regional celebration or as a result of inclement weather or other unusual circumstances. If possible, these closings will be announced in advance or announced at the time of the closing through the President's Office and using local authorized media. See Emergency Preparedness and Workforce Coverage Policy II-18.
Policy Administration: Compensation office of the Human Resources Department and supervisor.