Standards of Performance
The Human Resources Standards of Performance are designed to provide our customers with a reasonable expectation of process and outcomes. In addition, we want our customers to know what we expect of ourselves as we move toward "Customer Focused Service Excellence". Human Resources will respond to all inquiries as soon as practical and in accordance with the listed standards. Should you have an encounter with Human Resources that does not meet with these expectations, please contact your Human Resources team leader as soon as possible to discuss.
1. Human Resources Department:
- Answer calls on or before the 3rd ring. If unavailable to answer, have the phone roll over to someone who can answer.
- When voicemail is necessary or should a customer prefer to leave a voice-mail, return the call not later than the next business day. Every effort should be made to return calls the same business day.
- Human Resources will respond to all e-mails, with a minimum of an acknowledgement by the next business day. If an e-mail request is expected to take longer than the next business day, the acknowledgement will provide a date when the requested information will be available.
- Should a customer inquiry require research or consultation, the individual asked will be responsible for consulting with their appropriate team members and getting information back to the customer. In rare instances when it is best to forward the customer to another Human Resources representative, the person conducting the transfer will remain on the line until the other representative is reached and acknowledges that s/he can address the issue.
- The response and processing times refer to the time period following receipt in this office of all required forms and documentation.
- General benefits inquiries (phone calls, emails) - 1 business day.
- Appeals - acknowledgement of receipt 1 business day; time frames for review and decision will vary depending upon the complexity of the case.
- Benelect enrollment elections (e.g., new hires, change of status) - 2 business days.
- Tuition waivers - within 5 business days; however note that Bursar's Office does not begin to apply payments until the end of drop/add period each semester.
- Tuition reimbursement payments - within 2 weeks of grade submission.
- Carrier inquiries - 1 business day.
- COBRA paperwork - mailed within 5 business days of notification.
Notes: On some special occasions, such as during Benelect Open Enrollment, response times may be delayed.
- Job description review and analysis - 5 business days.
- Equity review - 5 business days.
- Additional payment request - 5 business days.
- Staff job opening - processed within 1 business day.
- Performance management - review of evaluations are completed within 1 business day.
4. Employee Relations:
- Termination process: depending on the severity and types of investigation needed - 2-5 business days. If additional time is required, all parties involved will be advised of time needed.
- Suspension process - 1 business day.
- Lay-off/Separation Process - 30-60 business days.
- Acknowledgement of leave of absence (one business day).
- Reorganization Requests - 60-90 days from submission of all information in final form.
- Positive Corrective Action - 1-3 days depending on the type of action and completion of documentation. If additional time is required, all parties will be advised of the time needed.
- Time to fill - Employment's goal is to fill staff positions within a 45 day timeframe. This may vary depending upon the complexity, level of the position, underutilization and the availability of the hiring officials.
- Posting a job opening process - Positions are posted daily on our website within 24 hours of an approved requisition through HCM Recruiting. The Recruiter will contact the hiring department by the next business day of a requisition being submitted.
- Recruiting process - All positions are posted on our website for a minimum length of 7 calendar days/5 business days (typical length of a job opening posted on our website is 30 days). Resumes are screened within HCM Recruiting on a weekly basis unless requested by the hiring manager for more or less frequently.
- Hiring process - Offers of employment are extended by the Recruiter upon the candidate's satisfactory completion of background screening. Background screening may take 3-5 business days (depends on obtaining results from criminal background check and availability of professional references).
6. Immigration and Human Resource Services:
- These processing times refer to the period of time AFTER all required documentation and fees have been received in this office and do not reflect government processing times. In addition, these processing times are an average of all cases that this office handles in each category and may vary depending upon the complexity of the case, number of cases in the queue, level of the position, and during the months when the volume of work increases due to faculty appointments, departmental budget periods, and when this office is not fully staffed.
- J-1 Visa - processed 2-4 weeks.
- H-1B Visa - processes 4-6 weeks.
- O-1, E-3, and TN Visa-processed 4-6 weeks for new cases, 2-4 weeks for extensions.
7. Information Systems (Records):
- The Records office strives for a one business day turn around on the work it receives. This can vary during months when the volume of work increases due to faculty reappointments, special ERP projects, payroll projects, and when the department is not fully staffed.
- New Hires - Processed within 1 business day.
- Verification - Processed within 1 business day.
- Reviews - Prior to the payroll cutoff if received on time.
- Email, Phone mail, Helpdesk tickets - Processed within 1 business day.
8. Organizational Development and Learning:
- Our staff is committed to delivering timely, precise and friendly service to each of our customers.
- We will assess the needs of our customers and strive to exceed their expectations.
- We will respond to our customer's inquiries in a friendly manner.
- We will acknowledge the receipt of a customer's request within 24-48 hours and follow through on their request within a timely manner.
- We will not discuss customers' confidential information.
- We will design and deliver innovative and effective programming to our customers.
- We will provide accurate and consistent information to our customers.