The Center for International Affairs announces that seed grants are available to faculty at Case Western Reserve University for the development of sustainable initiatives to enhance internationalization at the University. Awards are available up to $7500, and the Center for International Affairs will work with recipients to secure additional external funding, as necessary.
Grants will be awarded in the Spring semester and must be used over the next academic year; renewal for one year is possible. Examples of the kinds of expenditures that are eligible for support include:
- The development and implementation of sustainable faculty-designed and led education abroad programs
- The development and implementation of sustainable international research projects involving undergraduate students
- The development of long-term international partnerships that will increase the international student population at CWRU and/or provide study abroad opportunities for students
- The development of sustainable programs to support the international student population and promote international endeavors at CWRU
- The development of new international and cross-discipline curricula
Note: these are only examples, and we encourage faculty to be far-sighted and imaginative.
Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of the quality of the proposed project and its relevance to the international efforts at CWRU. All proposals are welcome; those that are interdisciplinary or have a plan for sustainability are particularly encouraged. A small faculty committee will review the proposals and determine which ones will be funded.
Application Process (Applications are due by November 16, 2012)
Applications for funding should include
1. Cover Sheet
2. Proposal Abstract (no longer than 3 pages) detailing the following points:
a. Summary of the proposal
b. Outcomes expected by the project
c. Metrics to measure success
d. Plan for sustainability
e. Explanation of how this benefits CWRU as a whole
3. Separate, detailed budget including secured funding from other sources or potential funding partners, if applicable.
4. Project Timeline
5. Letter of support from department chair, dean, or direct supervisor
6. Send in your completed proposals to Sharon Burke
Responsibilities of Award Recipients
Recipients will receive 75% of the awarded funds at the time of the award, in early 2013. The remaining 25% of the funds will be given after recipients submit a one page report on their project.
Award recipients are expected to carry out their proposal over the next year and to give a brief presentation on their project/program at an event in their honor in the Fall semester of the following year.
Faculty Seed Grant Review Committee
- Robert Salata, Professor and Executive Vice-Chair, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine
- Joyce Fitzpatrick, Elizabeth Brooks Ford Professor of Nursing, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
- Ica-Manas Zloczower, Associate Dean of Faculty Development, Professor Macromolecular Science & Engineering, Case School of Engineering
- Manish Valiathan, Associate Professor, Department of Orthodontics, Director, Surgical and Craniofacial Fellowship Program, School of Dental Medicine
- Li Li, M.D., Associate Professor, School of Medicine
- Avidan Cover, Assistant Professor; Associate Director, Institute for Global Security Law and Policy, School of Law
- David Hussey, Associate Professor, Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences