Want to study abroad, but unsure where to go, with whom to travel or how long to spend? Case Western Reserve University offers a variety of options to meet students’ varying needs.
Once you determine the length and style of program for which you’re looking, start your search.
Long-Term Study Abroad
In fall, spring, academic year and calendar year options, students spend a full semester(s) at any one of CWRU’s 75+ study abroad partner institutions (commonly called “long term study abroad”).
- Register for a full course load overseas and transfer courses back to CWRU
- Participants pay tuition to CWRU but pay room, board, and any fees to the overseas institution
Short-Term/Faculty-Led Study Abroad
Winter break, spring break, spring (May Abroad), May term, summer I and summer II programs are study abroad options that are part of a three-credit-hour CWRU course (commonly called “short-term” or “faculty led”).
- Register for one CWRU course that goes abroad, usually with the faculty leader
- Pay tuition and a program fee to CWRU. Program fees and what they cover vary by program.
- You can find all of these under the “Featured Programs” tab on the Program Search engine
Summer Study Abroad
Summer study abroad is directly enrolling in summer courses at any of CWRU’s partner institutions.
- Register for at least one course at an overseas institution and transfer it back to CWRU
- Students pay tuition, room and board, and fees to the overseas institution
Looking to conduct research or gain valuable work experience overseas? There are many opportunities available.
- Available at many semester/year study abroad institutions and searchable as a field of study under “Courses Offered.” Find a program.
- Stand-alone opportunities are facilitated by the Office of Education Abroad and the relevant CWRU department (e.g. the Career Center, SOURCE, Co-op Office)
- International travel registration is required for all international experiences and ensures students have CWRU’s free international medical and emergency insurance while abroad.