Case Western Reserve's Non-Discrimination Policy includes protections against discrimination based on gender identity and expression.
The following conversation groups are facilitated by undergraduate students at the LGBT Center: Gender Resistance, Umbrella, and Queer & Trans People of Color: UNITE!
Updating Systems Information
- Preferred Name Update
- Legal Name Update
- Changing Default Email Address
- Adding Alternate Email Aliases
- Changing Case ID Card - Please email the LGBT Center Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to then work with Access Services
- Update Gender Marker Policy & Form
Please see a list of bathrooms around CWRU's campus that are single-stall, locking bathrooms.
Gender Inclusive Housing
Name Change Resources
For transgender people currently in need of support and assistance. This helpline is staffed by transgender people for transgender people, and is supported by donors. Trans Lifeline - (877) 565-8860
Gender affirmation care is covered by Aetna for students. Please contact the LGBT Center with questions or concerns about navigating insurance policies.
- Aetna Student Health Benefits Summary
- Medical Coverage
- Aetna Gender Affirmation Care Information
- Call 1.877.850.6038 for Aetna Student Health Pre-approval
Gender affirmation care is covered by MMO SuperMed, Anthem, and CLE-Care HMO insurances. Please find coverage information in teh Certificate of Coverage for MMOSuperMed. For detailed coverage information for Anthem and CLE-Care HMO, contact the provider directly. Please contact the LGBT Center with questions or concerns about navigating insurance policies.
Anthem (HD & PPO) - 1.800.552.9159
- Medical Mutual SuperMed - 1.800.822.1152
- CLE-Care HMO - 1.877.330.6664
MetroHealth's Pride Clinic at the McCafferty Health Center is the first clinic in the region and one of only 12 health centers in the country devoted to serving the health needs of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.
Cleveland Clinic’s Center for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Care opened at the Chagrin Falls Family Health Center and Lakewood Family Health Center. Embedded in a primary care practice, the center provides care for all patients in a safe and welcoming environment. It includes providers who understand the health needs of LGBT patients, and access to specialists with expertise in LGBT care.
James Hekman, MD specializes in LGBT health and co-chairs Cleveland Clinic’s Gay and Lesbian Employee Resource Group. Dr. Hekman helped design the center and has moved his internal medicine practice to Lakewood.
Lake Effect Clinic is LGBTQ+ founded and operated and offers free Massage, Energy Balancing Treatments, and Herbal Medicine monthly, on the first Thursday of the month, to Cleveland area LGBTQ+ residents at the LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland, 6600 Detroit Ave. Please contact Lake Effect at email@example.com for more information.
The AIDS Taskforce of Greater Cleveland provides a compassionate and collaborative response to the needs of people infected, affected by, and at risk of HIV/AIDS. This is accomplished through leadership in prevention, education, supportive services, and advocacy. 3210 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, Ohio, 44115. Call (216) 621-0766
The LGBT Center will have Outreach Specialists, Vanessa or Alex, in the space on Mondays, 2:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. during the academic year. They are a confidential resource for students, faculty, and staff on topics ranging from intimate partner violence to different types of abuse. Learn more about the work of the CRCC at CWRU.
The Cleveland Rape Crisis Center (CRCC) is a social change agent dedicated to serving all survivors and those supportive of them at any point following their experience of sexual violence through superior direct services and advocacy, education and training, and activism. 1370 Ontario St., Suite 420; Cleveland, Ohio, 44113; 216.619.6194; 24-Hour Hotline: 216.619.6192
The Cleveland Free Clinic is a free-standing outpatient medical, dental, and mental health center dedicated to the belief that healthcare is a right and not a privilege. 12201 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, Ohio, 44106; 216.721.4010
Gender affirmation care is provided by Aetna. Transgender Benefits, In-Network: 80% of eligible charges are paid for by The Plan, the remaining 20% of charges are the responsibility of the student. Surgeries are limited to $50,000 per Plan year. Hormone Therapy is covered under the prescription benefit.
Gender affrimation care is provided by MMO Supermed, Anthem, and CLE-Care HMO for employees. Please contact your provider for detailed coverage information.
- Anthem (HD & PPO) – 1.800.552.9159
- Medical Mutual SuperMed – 1.800.822.1152
- CLE-Care HMO – 1.877.330.6664
TransFamily of Cleveland was founded to provide support and education for transgender persons, their families, friends, and significant others. We are associated with PFLAG to promote awareness of transgender persons and their issues. The TransFamily support group meets the Second Saturday of every month 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM at The LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland (6600 Detroit Ave).
The Beyond Binaries discussion group meets every 1st and 3rd Saturday The LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland (6600 Detroit Ave) at 11 AM. This group is led by community members and is open to anyone 18+ (including, but not limited to genderqueer, queer, gender non-conforming, non-binary, bigender, agender, transgender, etc.). For more information, contact Maya Simek at MSimek@lgbtcleveland.org or at (216) 651-5428 x 18.
Weekly youth programming (14-24 years old)
The Applewood Outpatient Therapy satellite clinic is a program within The LGBT Community Center that provides therapy services for LGBTQ youth. Counseling will be provided by Suzanna Chipman, LISW-S and will be available from 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM on Tuesday evenings at the LGBT Community Center. If you or your child is interested in receiving therapy, please submit a referral form with Center staff or by calling (216) 741-2241, ext. 1264.
May Dugan Center provides group therapy services to our youth, ages 17-21. This therapeutic discussion group meets weekly on Tuesdays, from 5:00-6:30 PM at the LGBT Community Center. Pre-registration is required. Please contact Program Director Maya Simek at MSimek@lgbtcleveland.org.
“The MetroHealth Pride Clinic is the first in the region devoted to serving the health needs of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. With specially trained physicians and support staff and an open and honest environment, we provide care that respects your unique health needs.”
Note: MetroHealth will ask for a legal name before they will enter a preferred name to make an appointment. Appointments are often only available months in advance
- Trans Justice Funding Project
- A community-led funding initiative to support trans justice groups run by and for trans people
- Trans 101 from Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- A basic primer about transgender people and identities
- Transgender Rights Toolkit for College Students
- A legal guide for trans people and their advocates
- Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER)
- Links to educational, medical, legal, and informational resources and services.
- Information about trans health, including transition-related care as well as general healthcare.
- Trans Women of Color Collective
- "Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCC) is a national organizing collective led by trans women of color created to uplift the narratives, leadership, and lived experience of trans folks of color. Historically, we have been the catalyst of change for social justice movements. TWOCC works to empower our community and allies to create and sustain revolutionary change!"
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- "The Sylvia Rivera Law Project works to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination or violence."
- Transgender Law and Policy Institute
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force - Transgender Issues
- International Foundation for Gender Education
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- TG Forum
- The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction
- National Coalition for LGBT Health
- Healthy Bodies, Safer Sex
- A comprehensive guide to safer sex, relationships, and reproductive health for trans or non-binary people and their partners.