Skip to Main Content
CWRU Links

School of


International Student FAQs

International Student FAQs

Frequently Asked International Student Questions

October 2016 – Beginning with the 2017-2018 application cycle, only US citizens or those with permanent resident status will be eligible for admission to the University Program (4 yr. MD).  This change in practice does not affect any of the other graduate programs at the School of Medicine.  

Our Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (5 yr. MD) will continue to accept applications from international applicants.  

Does the School of Medicine accept applicants with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status?

The School of Medicine does not currently accept students with DACA status (this includes CCLCM).

Does CCLCM accept international students other than Canada? Are they evaluated differently?

International applicants are evaluated the same as US citizens. We do not have special academic criteria or cut-offs for International applicants. It is important for international applicants to understand that you need not only be a viable candidate academically, but must also show strength in other areas of experiences and avocation.

What if I received my undergraduate degree from a university outside the US or Canada?

A candidate who graduates from an institution outside the United States will be considered if he/she completes one or two undergraduate or graduate years of science coursework in an accredited four-year college or university in the U.S. or Canada, and demonstrates the ability to perform well in the U.S. academic environment. One degree (bachelor, master or Ph.D.) must be earned from a school in the U.S. or Canada. The applicant must reside in the U.S. or Canada for one to two years.

Where can I find more information about applying to residency programs as a Foreign Medical Graduate?

The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) have some helpful resources and information on their website.

Where can I find more resources for international students?

Case Western Reserve University has an office of International Student Services which can help coordinate much of the documentation necessary to enroll in our School.

Where can I find information about Student Visas, I-20s, SEVIS, etc.?

The Office of International Student Services' website for detailed information regarding these important documents.

What if I have a change in my status while in the application process?

It is your responsibility to notify the Admissions Office immediately if you have a change in your status. You should also update your new status in your AMCAS application.

Are international students eligible for needs-based or federal aid?

No. The Office of Financial Aid awards funds that are restricted to U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States.

Most medical school programs, including CCLCM, require proof of payment up front for 1 year. International students often take out loans to cover costs, and these must be cosigned by a US citizen. Although the full tuition scholarship is given to international students, they need to determine how they will cover living expenses, particularly because non U.S. citizens have limited financial aid available to them.

Please note that although CCLCM admits international students, post-graduate training opportunities can be limited for students who are not permanent residents or US citizens, and satisfactory completion of academic requirements is not a guarantee of residency placement. 

Helpful international and immigration links can be found here.