Assistant Professorstefanie.email@example.com (216) 844-3890 (o)
Dr. Stefanie Avril (Sassen) started her career in academic pathology in 2004 at the Department of Pathology, Technical University Munich, Germany. Her research is focused on breast cancer and gynecologic oncology, with a specific interest in prediction of treatment response and the tumor immune microenvironment.
Dr. Avril received her medical degree from the Technical University Munich, Germany following training at the University of Caen, France, Cornell Medical School, New York, Harvard Medical School, Boston, and University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland. Her scientific career includes several studies on prediction of treatment response in ovarian and breast cancer using FDG-PET molecular imaging. Subsequent studies assessed histopathological parameters of treatment response and recurrence risk in ovarian cancers and borderline tumors. During a postdoctoral research fellowship at the University of Cambridge, UK, she investigated changes in miRNA expression during breast development and their correlation with breast cancer. Subsequent studies assessed the intratumoral heterogeneity of miRNA and protein expression in breast and ovarian cancer and its implications for assessment of prognostic and predictive biomarkers. More recently, Dr. Avril started to investigate the CXCR3-chemokine system, its association with tumor infiltrating lymphocytes and prognostic value in breast and ovarian cancer. Her current research funded by the NIH CTSC KL2 clinical research scholarship aims to investigate novel immunotherapeutic approaches to improve treatment of HER2-positive breast cancer (collaboration with Drs. Alex Huang, Ruth Keri).
|2004||MD, School of Medicine Technische Universität München, Munich, Germany|
|2006||Doctor of Medicine 'Dr. med.'
School of Medicine Technische Universität München, Munich, Germany
|2004-2013||Residency in Anatomic Pathology, Research Track
Department of Pathology, Technische Universität München, Munich, Germany
|2006-2008||Research Fellow, Cambridge Research Institute and Department of Oncology, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|2014||German Board of Pathology – Anatomic Pathology|
|01/2014 - 04/2014||Attending in Pathology, Department of Pathology, Technische Universität München, Munich, Germany|
|2015||Habilitation, 'Dr. med. habil.' (Status of academic lecturer and full faculty member)
School of Medicine Technische Universität München, Munich, Germany
|Current||Assistant Professor of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University,
University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio
- N. Avril, S. Sassen, B. Schmalfeldt, J. Naehrig, S. Rutke, W.A. Weber, M. Werner, H. Graeff, M. Schwaiger, and W. Kuhn, Prediction of Response to Chemotherapy by Sequential F-18 Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography in Patients with Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2005, 23:7445-53. PMID: 16157939
- S. Sassen, F. Fend, and N. Avril, Histopathologic and Metabolic Criteria for Assessment of Treatment Response in Breast Cancer. Review, PET Clinics of North America, 2006, 1.
- C. Schreiber, S. Sassen, M. Kostolny, J. Hörer, J. Cleuziou, K. Holper, F. Fend, A. Eicken, and R. Lange, Early graft failure of small-sized porcine-valve conduits in reconstruction of the right ventricular outflow tract. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2006, 82:179-85. PMID: 16798210
- J. Cleuziou, N. Mayr, C. Schreiber, J. Hörer, S. Sassen, H. Kaemmerer, R. Lange, Giant aortic aneurysm 18 years after repair of double-outlet right ventricle with pulmonary stenosis. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2006, 82:e31-2. PMID: 17062204
- S. Sassen, B. Schmalfeldt, N. Avril, W. Kuhn, H. Höfler, F. Fend, and J. Nährig, Histopathological assessment of tumor regression following neoadjuvant chemotherapy in advanced stage ovarian cancer. Human Pathology, 2007, 38:926-34. PMID: 17397905
- K. Blechschmidt, S. Sassen, B. Schmalfeldt, T. Schuster, H. Höfler, K.-F. Becker, The E-cadherin repressor Snail is
associated with lower overall survival of ovarian cancer patients. British Journal of Cancer, 2007, 98:489-95. PMID: 18026186
- S. Sassen, E.A. Miska, C. Caldas, MicroRNA: Implications for Cancer. Review, Virchows Archive, 2008, 452:1-10. PMID: 18040713
- J. Schwarz-Dose, M. Untch, R.Tiling, S. Sassen, S. Mahner, S. Kahlert, N.Harbeck, A. Lebeau, W. Brenner, M. Schwaiger, F. Jaenicke, N. Avril, Monitoring primary systemic therapy of large and locally advanced breast cancer by using sequential FDG-PET imaging. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2009, 27:535-541. PMID: 19075273
- N. Avril, S. Sassen, R. Roylance, Response to Therapy in Breast Cancer. Review, Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2009, 50:1-9. PMID: 19380410
- S. Avril-Sassen, L.D. Goldstein, J. Stingl, C. Blenkiron, J. Le Quesne, I. Spiteri, K. Karagavriilidou, C.J. Watson, S. Tavaré, E.A. Miska, C. Caldas, Characterisation of microRNA expression in post-natal mouse mammary gland development. BMC Genomics, 2009, 10:548. PMID: 19930549
- J. Dose-Schwarz, R. Tiling, S. Avril-Sassen, S. Mahner, A. Lebeau, C. Weber, M. Schwaiger, F. Jaenicke, M. Untch, N. Avril, Assessment of residual tumor by FDG-PET, conventional imaging and clinical examination following primary chemotherapy of large and locally advanced breast cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 2010, 102:35-41. PMID: 19920815
- S. Hipp, D. Berg, B. Ergin, T. Schuster, A. Hapfelmeier, A. Walch, S. Avril, B. Schmalfeldt, H. Höfler, K.F. Becker, Interaction of Snail and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase results in shorter overall survival of ovarian cancer patients. Virchows Archiv, 2010, 457:705-13. PMID: 20957493
- E. Nowosinska, S. Avril, I. Murray, T. Szyszko, N. Avril, FDG-PET/CT as a molecular biomarker in ovarian cancer. Review, Cancer Biomarkers, 2010, 8:167-75. PMID: 22045351
- H. Bronger, S. Kraeft, U. Schwarz-Boeger, C. Cerny, A. Stöckel, S. Avril, M. Kiechle, M. Schmitt, Modulation of CXCR3 ligand secretion by prostaglandin E2 and cyclooxygenase inhibitors in human breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research, 2012, 14:R30 [Epub ahead of print], PMID: 22333315
- M. Raychaudhuri, T. Schuster, T. Buchner, K. Malinowsky, H. Bronger, U. Schwarz-Boeger, H. Höfler, S. Avril, Intratumoral heterogeneity of miRNA expression in breast cancer. The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, 2012, 14(4). PMID: 22704963
- K. Malinowsky, M. Raychaudhuri, T. Buchner, S. Thulke, C. Wolff, H. Höfler, K.-F. Becker, S. Avril, Common protein biomarkers assessed by reverse phase protein arrays show considerable intratumoral heterogeneity in breast cancer tissues. PLoS One, 2012, 7(7): e40285. PMID: 22792263
- S. Avril, E. Hahn, K. Specht, S. Hauptmann, C. Höss, M. Kiechle, H. Höfler, B. Schmalfeldt, Histopathologic features of ovarian borderline tumors are not predictive of clinical outcome. Gynecologic Oncology, 2012, 127:516-24. PMID: 23000388
- M. Shehata, A. Teschendorff, G. Sharp, N. Novcic, A. Russell, S. Avril, M. Prater, P. Eirew, C. Caldas, C.J. Watson, J. Stingl, Phenotypic and functional characterization of the luminal cell hierarchy of the mammary gland. Breast Cancer Res. 2012, 14(5):R134 [Epub ahead of print], PMID: 23088371
- G. Mittermeyer, K. Malinowsky, C. Beese, H. Höfler, B. Schmalfeldt, K.-F. Becker, S. Avril, Variation in cell signaling protein expression may introduce sampling bias in primary epithelial ovarian cancer, PlosOne, 2013, 8(10):e77825. PMID: 24204986
- E. Gross, C. Meul, S. Raab, C. Propping, S. Avril, M. Aubele, A. Gkazepis, T. Schuster, N. Grebenchtchikov, M. Schmitt, M. Kiechle, J. Meijer, R. Vijzelaar, A. Meindl, A.B.P. van Kuilenburg, Somatic copy number changes in DPYD are associated with lower risk of recurrence in triple negative breast cancers, British Journal of Cancer, 2013, 109(9):2347-55. PMID: 24104963.
- S. Avril, miRNA expression in breast development and breast cancer. Review, Pathologe, 2013, 34 Suppl 2:195-200. PMID:24196612.
- S. Sizemore, G. Sizemore, C. Booth, C. Thompson, P. Silverman, G. Bebek, F. Abdul-Karim, S. Avril, R. Keri, Hypomethylation of the MMP7 Promoter and Increased Expression of MMP7 Distinguishes the Basal-like Breast Cancer Subtype from Other Triple Negative Tumors, Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2014, 146(1):25-40. PMID: 24847890
- S. Hauptmann, A. du Bois, I. Meinhold-Herlein, J. Pfisterer, S. Avril, Histological grading of epithelial ovarian cancer: Review and Recommendation. Review, Pathologe, 2014, 35(5):497-503. PMID: 25069848