Inside the Frank Hovorka Atrium.
Another View Inside the Atrium.
Photographs © 2001 Barney
All Rights Reserved.
Agnar Pytte Center for Science Education and Research
- named in honor of CWRU President Agnar Pytte upon his retirement
from the University in 1999 - is the culmination of a four-phase
project that began in 1996. The project's mission, now complete,
was to build new facilities and improve existing science structures
to create state-of-the-art classrooms, research laboratories, and
faculty offices for biology and chemistry. These are two of the
most popular undergraduate majors in the College of Arts and Sciences,
and the research conducted by their faculty and graduate students
competes annually for significant external support.
Gordon Bostwick Architects, Inc., located in Cleveland, Ohio,
designed the plans for the $26 million project that encompasses
204,000 square feet of research and teaching facilities. The Center
melds the historic 1897 Romanesque-style sandstone Biology Building
with the new four-story Anne and M. Roger Clapp Hall and the existing
Millis Hall and Schmitt Auditorium. Linking these structures and
giving a new important presence to the Agnar Pytte Science Center
is the four-story glass Frank Hovorka Atrium.
Board of Trustees decided to name the new complex the Agnar Pytte
Center for Science Education and Research. Pytte was also elected
to the position of president emeritus, effective July 1, 2000.