middle  Biology Hall

 
Sat. Dec 15 2018
Nobel Laureates
CWRU Legacies of Science
Biology Hall
Anne and M. Roger
Clapp Hall
Michelson-Morley
Fountain
The Rockefeller
Physical Laboratory
Frank and Dorothy
Hovorka
John Schoff Millis
Science Center
Andrew E. Schmitt
Auditorium
Home
Biology Hall at Case Western Reserve University  



Biology Hall





The term biology, although introduced in Europe by Lamarck in 1801, wasn't generally used in the U.S. until after 1876.


Biology - the observation of plants and animals - dates back to before the beginnings of written history as shown through pictorial records of plants and animals found in primitive drawings and carvings. In the early stages of civilization, people marveled upon the things that were familiar - the most familiar things being plants and animals. In 1829, the first class to study biology at Western Reserve College was taught by Elizur Wright, Jr., University's first professor of science. Wright's addition to the faculty was a major step in moving the study of sciences into the forefront of collegiate education.

Construction began on Biology Hall, originally named the Biological Laboratory, in 1897. It was designed by Charles Schweinfurth with guidance from the first biology professor of Western Reserve University, Francis Hobart Herrick. The building was completed in 1899 and still stands on the campus. Today, CWRU's Department of Biology embraces the applications of the physical and psychological sciences. Discoveries are made and ideas tested that may be important in a variety of fields such as the understanding of diseases or growth.