The university has a set style to follow for listing academic degrees and alumni status. A few guidelines are listed below, especially as it relates to use on business cards and stationery.
To review all editorial guidelines, download a PDF from the University Marketing and Communications website.
Capitalize full names of degrees, but only those words that are part of the formal title of the degree. Do not capitalize academic degrees in casual references when the full title of the degree is not given. Note correct use of apostrophes and spelling.
- The Master of Science in Nursing degree (This degree is abbreviated MSN, with the word nursing part of the formal title.)
- The Master of Arts degree in comparative literature (Since this degree is simply the MA, the words comparative literature are not capitalized.)
- The Master of Arts degree in comparative literature, a master’s degree in comparative literature, a master’s in comparative literature
Abbreviations of academic degrees take no periods.
- John Jones, PhD
- PhD, LLM, MA, MBA, BS, BSc, JD, MD, MEd
In general, list only a person’s highest degree when including his or her credentials.
- John Jones, PhD (not John Jones, BA, MA, PhD)
Identify alumni with abbreviations of their schools and their years of graduation in parentheses after their names. Case Western Reserve University includes its former schools and colleges to honor the graduates of academic programs, schools and colleges that are no longer functioning under their original names.
- ADL Adelbert College (non-engineering undergraduates until 1971)
- ARC School of Architecture
- CIT Case Institute of Technology (undergraduates from 1947 to 1987)
- CLC Cleveland College
- CSAS Case School of Applied Science (undergraduates up to 1947)
- CWR Case Western Reserve (undergraduates, 1989 and after*)
- DEN School of Dental Medicine
- EDU School of Education
- FSM Flora Stone Mather College (women undergraduates from 1931 to 1971)
- GRS School of Graduate Studies
- LAW School of Law
- LYS School of Information and Library Science
- MED School of Medicine
- MGT School of Management
- MNO Master of Nonprofit Organizations
- NUR Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
- PHA School of Pharmacy
- SAS School of Applied Social Sciences
- WRC Western Reserve College (non-engineering undergraduates from 1973 to 1988)
*Includes College of Arts and Sciences and Case School of Engineering.
- John Smith (CIT ’72, LAW ’74)
- Mary Martin (CWR ’97; GRS ’99, English)
- Victor Victoria (MGT ’82, LAW ’84)
- Helen Mayberry (FSM ’45, LYS ’48)
- Michael Antony (GRS ’84, chemistry, and ’88, computer science)
- Hope Prevails (CWR ’04, MNO ’06)
- Mary (CWR ’88) and John (MGT ’04) Smith
- Melissa and Jack (LAW ’07) Wilson
- Chris Taylor, PhD (ADL ’66)
Thursday at 1:00pm is when all orders need to be submitted in order for them to be available for pick up or delivery the following week.
In order to improve quality, protect our brand and ensure accurate colors are on the items, we are now off-set printing all stationary items. In the past, items like business cards were being produced digitally. While digital printing is faster and more convenient, it does not provide the quality and accuracy the off-set process provides allowing us to have greater brand integrity.
All items must be ordered through the FedEx Office online portal. Then, click on the stationery link and choose the item, quantity and authorized logo. Next, enter information into the online form. Subsequently, an online proof will be generated for review. Once approved, it will be routed to production. You will not receive an additional hard copy proof. Payment is rendered by providing your speedtype number at checkout.
Yes, by adding the item to the shopping cart it will be saved and can be viewedagain as long as you are using the same computer that was used to place the items in the cart.
The FedEx Office online portal is the only approved method for ordering these branded items.
Production occurs weekly, with orders cut off at 1:00p.m. each Thursday. In general, completed orders will be available for pick up at Thwing in 3 to 5 business day after the Thursday cut off. Delivery may add time to the order.
Example: A business card order is placed at 2 p.m., Wednesday. It moves to production on 1:00p.m., Thursday and should be available for pick up at Thwing by Wednesday or Thursday the following week.
If you need a specialty item or require modifications, call the center for assistance. If the order will be ongoing, we may add it to the site for future orders.
Yes, all past orders are stored in the order history section, however it stores all items that have gone through the site by all end users, so you will need a very specific keyword or date to find your old order. It may be easier to simply recreate the order from scratch.
Email or visit the center, or call the FedEx Office and provide project specifications. Also, pricing for your project is provided through the Smartcart ordering site for FedEx Office.
Items are eligible for complimentary delivery. However, if you need the item sooner, you may want to pick it up.
Online orders are preferred; however, you can place an order in person or by email. Payment is rendered by providing FedEx Office with your speedtype number. You can also email email@example.com or call the center in Thwing at 216.229.2111 with bid requests or project-related questions.
Yes. To print a project while traveling consult with team members in FedEx Office in Thwing by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 216.229.2111. They can help produce work in a nearby center.
Yes, if you are a CWRU employee doing a business-related project. Simply provide FedEx with the university’s discount number. Please contact CWRU sales representatives at FedEx Office. They can provide CWRU discount information.
Yes, the FedEx Office is a full-service printer. Feel free to contact them for a quote on any printing, signage or mailing projects.
Yes, this is a full-service FedEx Office for CWRU and the community. The office will package items and advise on the best shipping method.
FedEx Office is open 24/7. The Thwing location is open M-F from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sat. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
FedEx Ground is 6 p.m. and FedEx Express is 6:30 pm
Yes. Simply walk into the Thwing office and in minutes you can get your photo.