All undergraduate students at Case Western Reserve University who are continuing as undergraduates in Fall 2015 are eligible to apply for SOURCE summer funding. Award recipients must be registered for fall classes prior to beginning the summer project. Projects must be completed at CWRU, and/or be under the supervision of a CWRU faculty member. To this extent, students may apply for funding to support research and creative projects, including stipend, travel, and materials. Students who are awarded full research stipends ($3,500) cannot enroll in more than one summer class. While students may apply for funding for different projects, students may not accept funding for 2 different projects (that is, for example, students may not be part of the ENGAGE program and receive SOURCE funding for a separate project). If you are accepted into more than one project program, you must choose in which project you want to participate. Faculty mentors may (and are encouraged to) supplement SOURCE funding with supplies and/or stipend support..
The SOURCE office recognizes and is grateful to the following for Summer 2014 funding:
Students must identify a mentor prior to completing the SOURCE summer application. The SOURCE office is available for assistance in identifying a faculty mentor. SOURCE recommends that students attend one of the many “how to find a research position on or off campus” workshops during the fall semester.
A completed application packet consists of the following:
1) The online SOURCE application:
The funding application is now closed.
2) A brief proposal (approximately 3-4 pages) to include:
- Title Page - Your name, major, project title, mentor's name, and department only on this first page
- Following Pages - Goals and objectives, project description, methodology, time commitment required for the project, connection with your educational and career goals, and budget summary
- If your project inolves human subjects, you must include a section in your proposal about where you are in the IRB approval process.
4) Academic Transcript (unofficial printed or downloaded from SIS is acceptable)
- Please email the transcript as a separate attachment from your proposal and resume.
- Application Components 2 - 4 may be emailed to email@example.com (.doc, .docx, or .pdf only)
- Please email the proposal with resume and transcript as 2 attachments (Proposal & Resume = 1st Attachment; Transcript = 2nd Attachment).
- Please note "SOURCE SUMMER FUNDING APPLICATION" on the subject line
- Applicants also may bring the above information to the SOURCE Office, Sears 451
- Your Project Mentor may email the Faculty Support Form to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring the form to the Source Office, Sears Library 451
The deadline for submitting an ONLINE completed Application Packet, which includes application form, proposal, transcript, resume, and faculty support form, is February 15, 2015 at 11:59PM for STEM project proposals. For students who must turn in a hard copy, the deadline is February 13, 2015 at 5:00PM. For all Arts, Humanities, Management, Nursing and Social Science project proposals, the online application (preferred) deadline is March 6, 2015 at 11:59PM. Students who must turn in a hard copy, the deadline is 5PM, Friday, March 6. Anything submitted after these deadlines will not be accepted.
Applications will be reviewed to confirm that the applicant meets the eligibility criteria. The selection committee will evaluate application files and identify recipients based on the strength and educational value of the proposal, the do-ability of the project, and the overall support of the faculty sponsor.
SOURCE will inform students about funding status during the first full week of April.
SOURCE congratulates our Summer 2014 SOURCE, P-SURG, and SURES undergraduate research funding recipients!SOURCE Summer Funding Hints & FAQs