We at the Social Justice Institute strive to be forward thinking in our inquiries as well as our actions. We wholeheartedly believe that to get an idea of where to go next, we must keep in mind where we have been. With that in mind, here are some of the events that SJI has sponsored and that continue to influence our thinking and guide our work.
To view photos and videos from past events, please visit our media page.
To see what is in store for the coming weeks and months, head to the upcoming events page.
- 2016-2017 Research Lunch Series
- Controversial Coverage: Faith and the Fight to Insure Contraception, 3.9.17
- Pasta for CASA: Empathy & Action for Youth Impacted by Foster Care, 3.1.17
- How Native Americans Protect Traditional Knowledge from Misappopriation, with Dalindyebo Shabalala, 2.28.17
- U.N. World Social Justice Day: The Refugee Crisis in Syria, 2.20.17
- Activism Then & Now: Panel Discussion at the Maltz Museum, 2.15.17
- Stereotypes, Identities, Roles and Allies, 2.8.17
- Social Justice Fellows present..., with Diana Bilimoria, Morgan Bulger, Keimei Sugiyama and Cassi Pittman, 1.31.17
- The Occupation of the American Mind: Film & Discussion, 1.19.17
- Intersectional Feminism: Navigating the Intersections, Women of Color Series, 1.18.17
- Community Building and Activism through the Eyes of East Cleveland Women (Voicing & Action Project - Continuing Conversations, 12.10.16
- Post-Election Analysis: How This Happened & Where to Go from Here, SJI Teach-In, 12.6.16
- Is Extending Working Life the Best Response to Population Aging for All Workers?, SJI Policy Seminar, 11.29.16
- Placemaking and Race through the Stories of East Cleveland Women (Voicing & Action Project - Continuing Conversations), 11.22.16
- From Riot to Political Event: Cleveland's Hough Neighborhood of July 1966, with Paul Hanson, 11.8.16
- A People's Platform: An Introduction and Dialogue, 10.16.16
- With Justice For All in a Changing America: Morris Dees, 10.2.16
- SJI Open House, 9.16.16
- Sexual Assault Kits - Changing What We Know About Rape, with Rachel Lovell and Misty Luminais, 9.13.16
- History on Tap: What's Your Cause?, Cleveland Historical Society, 9.8.16
- Oriented: A Documentary Film and Discussion with Khader Abu Seif, 9.7.16
- Activism Adventure: Orientation 2016, 8.18-20.16
- National Lawyers Guild Training Sessions, 6.20.16 and 6.27.16
- The Fixers: Stories from Greater Cleveland, 6.16.16
- CWRU in the Community: Lunch and Learn with Dr. Rhonda Williams, 6.15.16
- The Women of East Cleveland: An International Perspective, with Visiting Fellow Risham Waseem, 5.26.16
- Debunking Cultural Bias: What Does an Intersectional Movement Look Like?, 4.28.16
- Race, Food and Justice: Analyzing the Urban Food Movement through a Social Justice Lens, 4.21.16-4.23.16
- Living Longer, Working Longer in the USA: A Gender Perspective, with Áine Ní Léime: Research Lunch Series, 4.19.16
- Schools Push Out and the Criminalization of Childhood, with Gabriella Celeste, 4.5.16.
- Power Up! Student & Youth Leadership Conference, 4.2.16.
- The MYCincinnati Ambassador Ensemble, 3.15.16.
- Bridging Worlds Together: Advancing Our Understanding of Social Justice through Cultural Awareness, 3.4.16.
- Blaming, Shaming and Explaining Teen Moms, with Mary Patrice Erdmans: Research Lunch Series, 3.1.16.
- Brown Gold: African-American Children's Literature as a Genre of Resistance, 2.18.16.
- Social Justice Teach In, 2.6.15.
- Disparities in Mental Health and Access to Care, with Sana Loue: Research Lunch Series, 2.2.16.
- Innovations in Social Justice Research: Research Lunch Series, 12.1.15.
- Think Tank 2015: Educating for Struggle: Empathy, Social Justice and Social Transformation, 11.12.15–11.14.15.
- The Aftermath of the 2008 Financial Crisis: Research Lunch Series, 10.7.15.
- PowerUP! Student & Youth Leadership Conference, 4.11.15.
- Coalition Building and Solidarity Needs - Social Justice Read-Ins and Teach-Ins, 3.18.15.
- Millenials and What it Means to Be a Radical Student- Social Justice Read-Ins and Teach-Ins, 3.4.15.
- UN World Social Justice Day (.JPG), 2.20.15.
- Police Brutality and the Black Community - Social Justice Read-Ins and Teach-Ins (.JPG), 2.18.15.
- Read-In of the DOJ Report, 1.22.15.
- SJI Brown Bag Luncheons, Fall 2014. (PDF)
- PowerUP! Student & Youth Leadership Conference, November 1th, 2014. (PDF)
- The New Black, October 17th, 2014. (PDF)
- With/Out Borders Conference, September 25 - 28th, 2014. (PDF)
- "The World is All Around Us", a lecture by documentary filmmaker Lee Mun Wah, 9.4.14.
- Race, Food & Justice Conference, Friday April 4 and Saturday April 5, 2014. (PDF)
- U.N. World Day of Social Justice - On Human Trafficking -- Friday, February 21st and Saturday, February 22nd, 2014. (PDF)
- Think Tank 2013: Educating for Struggle, 11.15.13–11.16.13.
- In(queer)ies — Rein in the Rhetoric: How Moral Panics over Sexuality Obscures Social Justice Issues, November 8th, 2013. (PDF)
- A discussion and reading with Thomas Glave, author of Among the Blood People, October 30th, 2013., 10.30.13 (PDF)
- Social Justice Institute Open House, September 24th, 2013., 9.24.13 (PDF)
- Voicing and Action Project: Power of Testimony, People in Action - East Cleveland, Saturday, July 27th, 2013, 7.27.13 (PDF)
- Discussion of Heather Andrea Williams' book Help Me to Find My People, April 27, 2013, 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m., 4.27.13 (PDF)
- Race, Food and Justice Conference, 4.25.13-4.26.13.
- Kwame Appiah Lecture on The Honor Code: Making Moral Revolutions, March 18th, 2013., 3.18.13 (PDF)
- World Social Justice Day: The End of Poverty, February 20, 2013., 2.20.13 (PDF)
- Michelle Alexander Lecture on The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarcerations in the Age of Colorblindness, October 25, 2012., 10.25.12 (PDF) Watch all parts of the lecture on our Media page.
- Commnunity Book Discussion Series: The New Jim Crow, September 11 - October 16, 2012, 9.11.12 - 10.16.12 (PDF)
- Cleveland Voter Education Forum, September 25, 2012, 9.25.12 (PDF)
- East Cleveland Voter Education Forum, September 20, 2012, 9.20.12 (PDF)
- Student Leadership Conference, April 21, 2012, 4.21.12 (PDF) View the Slideshow Recap on our Media page.
- Slavery by Another Name: February 8, 2012, 2.8.12 (PDF)
- Social Justice Institute Open House, Thursday, November 3, 2011, 11.3.11 (PDF)
- Coalition of Immokolee Workers - Human Trafficking, October 20, 2011, 10.20.11 (PDF)
- An Evening with The Freedom Riders, 9.30.11.
- Bonded Souls and Binding Histories, South Asia Initiative lecture by Chinnaiah Jangam, 4.14.11.
- Worse Than War, featuring Daniel Goldhagen, by Facing History and Ourselves, 4.6.11.
- Will Allen, CEO, Growing Power & MacArthur Genius Grant Recipient Visits Cleveland, Ohio, 3.18.11–3.19.11.
- 2011 Jean Donovan International Social Justice Conference, 2.25.11–2.26.11. View the corresponding media for this lecture on our Media page.
- Social Justice, Race and Profiling: An Intergenerational Think Tank, 11.19.10–11.20.10.
- Social Justice and the Research University: A Faculty Forum (PDF) 3.17.11.
Visit the SJI YouTube Channel to see recorded conference lectures, plenary sessions and oral histories.
Selected event photos courtesy of Eric Benson Photography