Office of Undergraduate Studies

Withdrawal from a Course

The First Undergraduate Year:

For the first two semesters of enrollment, matriculated students who are beginning their college studies may withdraw from a course at any time during the semester, but no later than the last day of classes. Any course for which a grade of W is assigned will be deleted from the transcript at the end of the semester. This policy is not available for transfer students and does not apply to the summer session.

After the First Undergraduate Year:

A student may withdraw from a course no later than the end of the 11th week of the semester and receive a grade of W. In extenuating circumstances, a student may petition for permission to withdraw from a course after the final date and receive a W. The grade of W will be posted on the student’s transcript.

For all course withdrawals:

Students in good academic standing (i.e., not on probation, probation incomplete, or continued on probation) may withdraw from courses through the Student Information System, provided that this does not take them to be actively enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours. All other course withdrawals (those by students who are not in good standing and those that take a student below 12 credit hours of active enrollments) must be transmitted by the student to the Registrar's Office on the appropriate form, signed by a dean in the Office of Undergraduate Studies. Failure to attend class, or providing notice only to the instructor, does not constitute an official withdrawal from a course. Such an unofficial withdrawal normally will result in the student’s being assigned the grade of F.