Skip to Main Content
CWRU Links

Academic Advising

Academic advising is an important component of the educational program at Case Western Reserve University. Academic advisors assist students in the exploration of academic opportunities at the university and in the selection of courses. Advisors may refer students to other sources of information and assistance at Case Western Reserve. Students are expected to initiate and maintain regular contact with their advisors to address the student’s curricular and career concerns, and to review progress towards graduation. Students are expected to meet with advisors when declaring a major or minor, before registering for classes each semester, and when making corrections to their academic requirements reports.

Advising during the first year

During a student’s first year at Case Western Reserve University, the faculty member instructing the student’s SAGES First Seminar serves as the student’s academic advisor. Students and their advisors are expected to explore the student’s academic interests and concerns, as well as educational and career goals, and to seek expert information and advice about academic policies and procedures and about specific academic programs from the General Bulletin, newsletters, websites, academic representatives in the majors and minors, and other sources of advice and counseling on campus. Staff in the Office of Undergraduate Studies (including the directors of the first-year residential colleges), the University Career Center, Educational Services for Students, the Office of Multicultural Affairs, University Counseling Services, and specialized programs such as Co-op (co-operative education), SOURCE (Support of Undergraduate Research & Creative Endeavors), the Center for International Affairs (study abroad, international student services), Student Activities and Leadership, and the Center for Civic Engagement and Learning (community service) are available to support first-year students and their advisors with publications, workshops, websites, experiential learning opportunities, and individual communications.

Advising in the majors and minors

Although some first-year undergraduates enter with definite goals, they are not assigned advisors in the majors until they have declared their major. Opportunities for exploration of majors and minors during the first and second semesters include a Choices Fair, departmental information sessions, and individual conversations with faculty and academic advisors. First-Year students who are ready to declare a major in their first year may do so beginning in November. Students engaging in further exploration of majors are expected to declare a major before their fifth semester of enrollment.

When a student selects a specific major or minor, the academic representative assigns a faculty advisor. A choice or change of major or minor is not recorded for any student until the major or minor declaration form, bearing the signature of the student, the name of the advisor, and the signature of the academic representative of the major or minor, has been completed and submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Studies, 357 Sears Building.

After the first year, students who have not declared a major should consult their assigned advisor (noted in their online student information) or the academic representative of an academic department of interest for advice and schedule approval.

Advising in the Office of Undergraduate Studies

The deans and advisors in the Office of Undergraduate Studies, including the residential college directors, are available to answer student and faculty questions about university rules, practices, programs, and resources, and to meet with students who are interested in accelerated undergraduate to graduate and professional school programs, academic awards, and fellowship and scholarship opportunities. All students who have not declared a major should consult with their first-year advisor or with one of the advisors in the Office of Undergraduate Studies for advice and schedule approval. Students with interests in health professions and/or law school are encouraged to seek advice from the pre-medical advisor and the pre-law advisor in the Office of Undergraduate Studies.