|somfoundation.som.com||Seniors/Graduate Students||Deadline passed|
The Structural Engineering Travel Fellowship is an award that "aims to foster an appreciation of the aesthetic potential in the structural design of buildings and bridges by enabling a gifted graduate to experience works of architecture and engineering first hand. The Foundation hopes that the Fellow will in turn influence the practice and teaching of structural engineering in the future."
- Applicant must be graduating with a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or Ph.D. in civil or architectural engineering with a specialization in structural engineering from a professionally accredited degree program at a U.S. school between July 1, 2016, and June 30, 2017. U.S. citizenship is not required.
- Candidates must intend to enter the professional practice of structural engineering in the field of buildings or bridges.
1. The university is permitted to nominate no more than two students from the civil engineering department, so there is a preliminary screening.
2. Send the following application components to Dean Amanda McCarthy at email@example.com by the campus deadline of Dec. 1, 2017:
- A current resume
- A two-page essay describing the student’s interest in the role of aesthetics, innovation, efficiency and economy in structural design of both building and bridge structures and how this fellowship will influence their education and practice of structural engineering in the future.
- Letter of recommendation from a departmental faculty member addressing the student’s specific strengths and how the award will further the student’s growth.
Preference will be for all documents to be sent in one singular PDF. Reference letters can be submitted separately by the letter writer either electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or via US/campus mail to the Office of Undergraduate Studies, Case Western Reserve University, 357 Sears Building, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106-7028.
3. Applications will be reviewed and students will be contacted as to whether their nomination will be submitted to the national competition.
4. If selected as one of the candidates to represent CWRU, Dean McCarthy will submit the institution’s nomination form and assist you in developing your application for national submission by the deadline listed below.
|Campus deadline||Dec. 1, 2017|
|Committee review and selection||Dec. 4-8, 2017|
|Candidate notification||Dec. 11, 2017|
|Candidate nomination deadline||Dec. 11, 2017|
|National application deadline||TBD (January)|
|National competition notification||TBD (March)|
Value of the Award
The total amount of the award is $20,000.
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill Foundation
224 S. Michigan Ave., Suite 1000
Chicago, IL 60604