Skip to Main Content
CWRU Links

Academic Advising

Academic advising is an important component of the educational program at Case Western Reserve University. Academic advisors assist students in the exploration of academic opportunities at the university and in the selection of courses. Advisors may refer students to other sources of information and assistance at Case Western Reserve. Students are expected to initiate and maintain regular contact with their advisors to address the student’s curricular and career concerns, and to review progress toward graduation. Students are expected to meet with advisors when declaring a major or minor, before registering for classes each semester, and when making corrections to their academic requirements reports.

Advising in the first semester

During the first semester at Case Western Reserve University, students are advised by Dean Claudia Anderson in the Office of Undergraduate Studies. Following the first semester, students will be assigned to one of the other deans in Undergraduate Studies who advise upperclass students. Other offices are also available to support students and advisors through publications, workshops, websites, experiential learning opportunities, and individual communications: the University Career CenterEducational Services for Students, the Office of Multicultural AffairsUniversity Counseling Services, and specialized programs such as Co-op (co-operative education), SOURCE (Support of Undergraduate Research & Creative Endeavors), the Center for International Affairs (study abroad, international student services), Student Activities and Leadership, and the Center for Civic Engagement and Learning (community service) are available to support students and their advisors with publications, workshops, websites, experiential learning opportunities, and individual communications.

Advising in the majors and minors

Although many new students enter with definite goals, they are not assigned advisors in the major until they have officially declared a major. Students who are ready to declare a major may do so beginning in the first semester. Those in the 3/2 Engineering Program should declare majors within the first two weeks of classes.

When a student selects a specific major or minor, the academic representative assigns a faculty advisor. A choice or change of major or minor is not recorded for any student until the major or minor declaration form, bearing the signature of the student, the name of the advisor, and the signature of the academic representative of the major or minor, has been completed and submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Studies, 357 Sears Building. (Refer to the major declaration process.) Students who have not declared a major should continue to consult with Dean Claudia Anderson.

Opportunities for exploration of majors and minors include departmental information sessions and individual conversations with faculty and academic advisors. Students engaging in further exploration of majors are expected to declare a major before their third semester of enrollment.

Advising in the Office of Undergraduate Studies

The deans and advisors in the Office of Undergraduate Studies are available to answer student and faculty questions about university rules, practices, programs, and resources, and to meet with students who are interested in accelerated undergraduate to graduate and professional school programs, academic awards, and fellowship and scholarship opportunities. Students with interests in health professions and/or law school are encouraged to seek advice from the pre-medical advisor and the pre-law advisor in the Office of Undergraduate Studies.

In future semesters, students are expected to meet with their advisors to discuss course selections and to release advising holds prior to registering for classes.