GENI (Global Environment for Network Innovations) provides a virtual laboratory for networking and distributed systems research and education. It is well suited for exploring networks at scale.
GENI offers unique opportunities to connect with many contributors working to transform the way research is performed with regards to network science and engineering, leading to innovations in network science, security, services and applications.
GENI might be right for you if your experiment requires:
- A large-scale experiment infrastructure
- Non-IP connectivity across resources
- Deep programmability
- Instrumentation and measurement tools
GENI allows researchers to:
- Compute resources from locations around the United States
- Connect compute resources using Layer 2 networks in topologies best suited to their experiments
- Control how network switches in their experiment handle traffic flows
- Connect compute resources using Layer 3 and above protocols by installing protocol software in their compute resources and by providing flow controllers for their switches
- Install custom software or even custom operating systems on these compute resources