› Mission, Vision + Core Values
Constituents of Case Western Reserve were tasked in 2008 with determining where the university should be in five years. What resulted: the mission, vision and core values that will guide us to new forms of excellence by 2013.
Case Western Reserve University improves people's lives through preeminent research, education and creative endeavor. We realize this goal through:
- Scholarship that capitalizes on the power of collaboration.
- Learning that is active, creative and continuous.
- Promotion of an inclusive culture of global citizenship.
Case Western Reserve University aspires to be recognized internationally as an institution that imagines and influences the future. Toward that end we will:
- Support advancement of select academic fields as well as new areas of interdisciplinary excellence.
- Provide students with the knowledge, skills and experiences necessary to become leaders in a world of rapid change and increasing interdependence.
- Nurture a community of scholars who are cooperative, collegial and committed to mentoring and inclusion.
- Build on our relationships with world-class health care, cultural, educational and scientific institutions in University Circle and across greater Cleveland.
The strategic planning process identified key priorities that shape the university's future, its budgeting, fundraising, campus improvements and other basic operations. These core Case Western Reserve University values include:
I. Academic Excellence and Impact
Through eminence in teaching and research; Scholarship that changes lives and deepens understanding; and Creativity and innovation as hallmarks of our efforts.
II. Inclusiveness and Diversity
Through civility and the free exchange of ideas; Civic and international engagement; and Appreciation for the perspectives and talents of each individual.
III. Integrity and Transparency
Through academic freedom and responsibility; Ethical behavior; and Shared governance.
IV. Effective Stewardship
Strong, ongoing financial planning; Emphasis on sustainability; and Systems that support attainment of our mission.
Follow our Progress
As Case Western Reserve pursues our five-year strategic plan, we will report on our results, including point-by-point scorecards and individual metrics for each of our focal points. For more information, visit and stay tuned to the Forward Thinking: Our Strategic Plan Web site.