Date: February, 2020
Title: Bioinformatician / Research Associate
Department: Sekaly’s Lab - Pathology
Location: Wolstein Research Building
Supervisor Name and Title: Rafick-Pierre Sekaly, Ph.D.
The Bioinformatician will join the laboratory of Dr. Rafick-Pierre Sekaly, will work with internal and external collaborators to analyze and report from high-throughput experiments including mRNA-seq, microRNA-seq, DNA-seq and functional validation experiments such as qPCR and flow cytometry.
The Bioinformatician's responsibilities will include the statistical design of experiments, analysis and reporting, and assembly of figures for manuscript preparation.
- Support scientists by assessing their bioinformatics needs and defining proper informatics solution(s)
- Assist in all phases of analysis from data processing and quality control through final analytical results
- Prepare sequencing analysis and complete reporting to facilitate analysis
- Assist with working with computational tools for the exploration of high-dimensionality datasets and test statistical models
- Work with researchers to translate these models and analyze data from experiments
- Help develop toolsets and bioinformatics applications that embed analysis methodologies to internal and external collaborator
- Train in the analysis of biomedical research data using descriptive statistics and inference tests
- Train and work in statistical programming using R-script.
Perform other duties such as coordinate and facilitate collaborative experiments with other investigators
Department: Daily contact with supervisor and department staff
University: Frequent contact with other departments
External: Occasional contact with vendors to exchange information
Students: Continuous contact with students to provide information and analytical assistance
The position does not include any direct supervisory responsibility
Education/Licensing: MS in Bioinformatics or its equivalent related field or equivalent related experience
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Minimum two years of work experience in Bioinformatics/Statistics/Math or related field or equivalent education such as an MS or Ph.D.
- Working experience in at least one scripting language such as R or Python, training informal programming languages an asset.
- Minimum of one-year work experience with Linux
- Proven ability to work independently and in a team environment
The position will include occasional travel.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants should send their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org