Instructions: Please submit a cover letter and resume/CV to Wendy Boerger no later than Friday, November 30th by 5 p.m.
Work as part of a Data Team consisting of representatives from the Begun Center for Violence Prevention Research & Education-Case Western Reserve University (Begun), the City of Cleveland (City) and the Cleveland Division of Police (CDP). Provide oversight and management with data collection, data management, data analysis, and data dissemination activities as they relate to the CDP requirements in their Settlement Agreement with the US Department of Justice (DOJ).
The person who fills this position will be responsible for conducting multiple data-related tasks in support of the Settlement Agreement. These tasks will include compiling and analyzing large databases of secondary data supplied by the City and CDP related to areas including officer use of force, stop, search and arrest data, community and problem-oriented policing, recruitment and training. A second core requirement will be working closely with the Data Team including the City’s Data Manager, Crime Analysts, City IT staff, CDP command staff, and the Begun Center team. The ideal candidate will possess experience necessary to engage all phases of research with an emphasis on law enforcement data workflow, quality control, statistical analysis and dissemination to multiple internal and external audiences including CDP command staff and officers, City officials, the DOJ Monitoring team, and the public.
- Work with key stakeholders including City staff, City Crime Analysts, CDP command staff, City IT staff and Begun Center team members to map out data workflow for all Settlement Agreement data areas. (20%)
- Build and maintain relational databases, run queries and create tables and populate existing tables with new data. (20%)
- Develop databases/spreadsheets and carry out on-going and new sophisticated statistical analyses using SPSS or similar statistical analysis software. Conduct additional analyses as needed. (30%)
- Prepare internal data briefs and reports, comprehensive topical reports required by the Settlement Agreement, external data briefs for public consumption, and other reports as requested by CDP, the City and the DOJ (20%).
- Collect and manage data using online survey technology and paper-based data collection tools. (10%)
Perform other duties as assigned.
Department: Daily contact with supervisor and research staff in the center.
University: Occasional contact with other departments.
External: Regular contact with partners at CDP, the City of Cleveland and community members.
Students: Contact with student employees.
No direct supervisory responsibility; may direct the work of students and research assistants.
Education/Experience: Master’s Degree or higher in social sciences such as criminology, sociology, social work, psychology or relevant field is required. 3 or more years of relevant experience including managing large datasets and project management with diverse teams.
- Highly organized with strong quantitative, data management and data cleaning skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment with City information technology staff, CDP, other analysts, and Begun Center team members.
- Experience in Microsoft Suite (Word, Access, Excel), email and internet applications. Familiarity with applications or analytic supports such as SPSS, STATA and Data Query Languages.
- Ability to work with limited supervision while being highly self-motivated and self-directed.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills including development of charts and figures in Powerpoint presentations.
- Experience working with law enforcement datasets.
- Experience in mapping and GIS systems such as ArcInfo, ArcGis.
General working conditions. May be required to occasionally attend an evening or weekend meeting.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity at 216-368-8877 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.