Postdoctoral Scholar in Neuromodulation Research for the Treatment of Pain
The Moffitt Laboratory in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the Case Western Reserve University is seeking a Postdoctoral Scholar to evaluate peripheral nerve stimulation methods for the treatment of chronic pain. The position is available with a start date of 08/10/2020.
The ideal candidate will be creative, curious, collaborative and highly motivated. Required skills include experience with executing in vivo studies involving the handling, care and use of laboratory animals and surgical procedures, behavioral evaluations in awake behaving rodents, neurostimulation in preclinical models. Experience with the above in the context of preclinical models of chronic pain is highly desirable. Familiarity with implantable neuromodulation systems and strong understanding of first principles of neurostimulation are desirable.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Planning and executing between 2-3 projects in collaboration with the PI and collaborators as well as other faculty members from CWRU and other academic institutions.
- Develop the experimental design to evaluate peripheral neuromodulation techniques for the treatment of chronic pain in a preclinical model.
- Perform data analysis utilizing tools available in the laboratory or will participate in the development/acquisition of new tools if necessary.
- Plan under the direction of the PI follow up experiments to further characterize neuromodulation effects and/or to evaluate candidate mechanisms by which neuromodulation is generating a therapeutic effect.
- Prepare manuscripts and contribute preliminary data, background and significance and experimental design for grant proposals.
- Supervise a graduate student to support these and related research activities.
The position requires a PhD degree in biomedical or electrical engineering, physics, biophysics, neuroscience or related field and 0-1 years of prior postdoctoral experience with multiple publications.
Interested candidates should send their CV, and contact information for three references to Michael Moffitt at firstname.lastname@example.org
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity at 216-368-8877 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Required education: Doctorate
Required experience: Graduate degree, multiple peer reviewed publications
Job Type: Full-time