Post-Doctoral Scholar - Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
CWRU Title: Postdoctoral Scholar
Department: Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
School: Case School of Medicine
Location: Wood Building
Supervisor Name and Title: Saba Valadkhan, Ph.D.; Assistant Professor of Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Case Western Reserve University.
I. RESEARCH AND SCIENTIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
We are interested in recruiting a highly motivated and skilled researcher for a part time position to work on high throughput gene expression data obtained from studies performed locally and through publicly available libraries of gene expression profiling. Our research focuses on RNA-seq studies on a diverse range of input material, along with ChIP-seq and DNA-seq studies.
- The position involves performing both the initial gene expression analysis and higher level studies including machine learning. In addition, the successful applicant will be expected to prepare and submit manuscripts based on the results of their studies to peer-reviewed journals, in addition to contributing to the preparation of manuscripts spearheaded by other members of the team.
- As a Scientist, the successful applicant will prepare and provide preliminary data to support the preparation of internal and external grant applications, participate in the ongoing projects in the laboratory by contributing computational data, and present the findings from their work in national and international meetings in addition to local and departmental seminars.
- As a data scientist, maintenance of local computational resources including both computers and back-up systems are responsibilities of the position holder. In addition, submitting high throughput data to appropriate repositories in compliance with the guidelines of funding agencies and publishers is a responsibility of the successful applicant.
II. TECHNICAL SKILLS
- For this post, the successful applicant must be fully proficient in either python or R programming languages (preferably both) including higher level analysis packages (e.g. Pandas, Seaborn, Scikit-learn and TensorFlow/PyTorch in python), with a working knowledge of the other programming language. A working knowledge of bash and SQL is also required. In addition, proficiency with linux-based systems including both local work stations and high performance computational clusters is required.
- Prior experience with analysis of RNA-seq and ChIP-seq studies is required.
- Evidence of experience in data analysis and participation in teamwork, including first author publications and authorship in published manuscripts with multiple authors, is a requirement for this position.
III. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum qualifications include a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or M.D.) and relevant work experience in working with large datasets in a biomedicine-related field.
- The successful candidate must have strong analytical, oral and written communication skills.
IV. NONESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Attending scientific and computational conferences, and mentoring and training junior scientists in the lab as needed based on their projects.
- This position requires extensive interaction with Dr. Valadkhan and other lab members involved in related research projects.
VI. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY
- No direct reports, but it is expected that as the need arises, the successful applicant will take on project leadership and mentoring roles.
VII. WORKING CONDITIONS.
- Laboratory location with minimal physical demands
Interested candidates should submit their CV, reprints of selected publications, contact information for three references, and a cover letter summarizing their relevant experience directly to Dr. Saba Valadkhan at email@example.com.