Title: Research Associate
Department: Biomedical Engineering
Location: Wickenden 1st Floor
Supervisor Name and Title: Dominique Durand, Professor
The main responsibility for this position is to carry out research experiments to test scientific hypotheses. In particular, the Research Associate for this position will study methods to control seizures in animal models of epilepsy
- Carry out experiments to establish animal models of epilepsy 15%
- Design methodology using electrical stimulation to control seizure frequency and duration 15%
- Perform electrophysiology experiments to measure the brain activity and monitor the status of the animals 15%
- Analyze data generated by the experiments 15%
- Write scientific manuscripts to be submitted for publication 10%
- Train undergraduate and graduate students to perform similar experiments 10%
- Participate in writing grant proposal 10%
- Collaborate with other staff on other projects in the laboratory. 10%
- Participate in and contribute to lab meetings.
- Help maintain the surgical facility
- Attend scientific conferences and present results
Department Staff: Animal technician, Graduate students, Undergraduate students,
Principal Investigator, External (Other scientists)
The research assistant for this position will supervise undergraduate students working in the laboratory and assigned to this project as well as graduate students working on this or other projects.
Experience: Three years of experience in animal experimentation
Education/Licensing: PhD in Biomedical Engineering or related field
- animal experimentation
- recording of brain activity,
- animal surgery,
- chronic implantation,
- animal models epilepsy,
- signal processing,
- scientific writing,
The work required will take place either in an office and in a laboratory. Occasional travel will be required.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Send all application materials to Dominique Durand at email@example.com.