Title: Research Associate
Department: Medicine/Cardiovascular Medicine
Supervisor Name and Title: Sanjay Rajagopalan, M.D; Director of Case Cardiovascular Research Institute and Division Chief of Cardiology for University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center
I. STATEMENT OF RESEARCH AND SCIENTIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
● A highly motivated and skilled researcher in central nervous regulation of metabolism/inflammation and/or diabetes with experience in molecular physiology.
● Projects currently address the role of systemic inflammatory stimuli in regulation of metabolism. Metabolic regulators of inflammation and role of gut peptides in the regulation of metabolism and vascular function. The lab is well funded through the NIH.
● The qualified candidate will utilize mouse gene targeting in gain- and loss-of-function experiments and employ a wide array of cellular, molecular, vascular and invasive hemodynamic and central nervous system cannulation techniques.
● As a research Associate, he/she will present data at departmental seminars and scientific meetings, prepare manuscripts, and contribute preliminary data for grant proposals.
● Additional managerial experience will be an asset and looked upon favorably
II. TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Experience in gene arrays and bioinformatics analysis is highly desirable - Experience with in-vivo central nervous system manipulation and cannulation is strongly preferred - Proficiency in flow cytometry preferable - Experience in mouse surgery and hemodynamic analyses preferred but not required.
III. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise laboratory technicians/assistants and student trainees in experimental design and data analysis of a variety of projects.
IV. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum qualifications include a Ph.D. in chemistry, biology, physiology, or equivalent. - Prior post-doctoral research experience is not required, though experience in modern techniques of molecular biology and mouse handling/experimentation is essential.
- A background in CNS and/or vascular physiology is highly preferred but not required. - The successful candidate must have strong analytical, oral and written communication skills.
Send inquiries containing a cover letter, CV with list of publications and contact information for three references to CVRI@case.edu AND Sanjay.Rajagopalan@uhhospitals.org. All applications should be submitted to both email addresses.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity at 216-368-8877 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.