Date: July 1, 2019
Title: Research Associate
Department: Genetics and Genome Sciences School: Medical School
Please send CV’s along with three references to Michelle Yanick at email@example.com
Collaborates with faculty, department staff, post-doctoral fellows, students and technicians in the performance and analysis of complex and advanced research studies. Provides mentorship to other researchers in the conduct and analysis of research studies. Provides laboratory management support for Harris laboratory. The objective of projects in the Harris lab is to elucidate the molecular and cell biology of human epithelia and their dysfunction in disease states.
- Performs independent, advanced experimentation and data analysis utilizing complex equipment and analysis procedures. Conduct state-of-art genomics technologies and functional assays to examine the cellular pathways regulated by several epithelial transcription factors. Perform analysis by deep sequencing and other protocols of cell biology and biochemistry such as cell culture. (20%)
- Collaborates with faculty members and scientists in training in the performance and analysis of complex and advanced research studies. (10%)
- Participates in the development of new procedures and protocols in the conduct of research studies. Conducts literature searches and generates data for the development of grant proposals. (10%)
- Participates in meetings to present research study findings. (10%)
- Serves as a mentor to other researchers in the conduct and analysis of research. (10%)
- Maintains research related materials to include study data, publications, submitted grants and other scientific documents. Maintains laboratory databases. Maintain certain equipment facilities including laboratory cell culture facility and functional genomics equipment room with advanced thermal cyclers for quantitative gene expression analysis, bioruptors etc. (20%)
- Develops and maintains relationships with external agencies and vendors. Orders reagents for Harris lab. (5%)
- Collaborates with Scientists in the preparation of manuscripts. (5%)
- Oversee supply inventory. Order supplies. Maintain chemical and biological inventories. (10%)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Department: Daily contact with principal investigators, postdocs, research associates, research assistants and graduate students to review reagent needs or organize research interactions between different research teams in the department.
University: Daily contact with principal investigators, postdocs, research associates, research assistants, graduate students outside department. The supervisor has many collaborations across the university, which will be facilitated by the research assistant.
External: Regular contact with outside vendors to obtain quotes for reagents, organize maintenance of equipment or solve problems relating to ordering and invoicing.
Students: Daily contact with graduate students and fellows to facilitate their research and ensure an efficient work environment.
Supervise postdoctoral fellows and graduate students. Provide technical assistance and help to trouble shoot research problems.
Involved in hiring, transferring, promoting, discharging, assign, reward or discipline subordinate employees or effectively recommend such actions.
- Ph.D in Medical or Biological Sciences, Forensics or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience in molecular cell biology and genetics research is required.
- Specific expertise in study of the human epithelial cells.
- Prior experience in cell biology, genetics, molecular biology, microscopy and deep sequencing techniques and analysis is required.
- Prior work experience in an academic medical setting and/or a clinical research setting in strongly preferred.
- Strong numeracy and data analysis skills.
- Advanced computer proficiency in Microsoft Suite.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and management skills and ability to work in a fast paced environment.
WORKING CONDITIONS The position entails working in a biomedical research laboratory. The selected applicant will be expected to maintain all required certification for laboratory work and adhere to all safety regulations. The position may require extended hours including weekends as experiments dictate.
DIVERSITY STATEMENT In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.