This is a key position within the lab and the candidate will be responsible for planning and executing experiments in close collaboration with the Principal Investigator. The lab is working closely together with other PI's in Hematology/Oncology, Pharmacology, Pathology, Biomedical Engineering including collaborations with a multidisciplinary team of biologists, chemists, engineers, immunologists, and clinicians. The qualified candidate will prepare manuscripts and contribute preliminary data, background and significance and experimental design for grant proposals. The work focuses on the study of the contribution of coagulation Factor XII in sterile inflammation and venous thrombosis. We have shown that FXII signaling influences leukocyte function. We aim to better understand the signaling mechanisms, the cross-talk between XII and other trans-membrane proteins as well as its intracellular trafficking. In a translational approach, we are currently working on the targeted delivery of inhibitors, exclusively targeting neutrophils, to promote wound healing and decrease venous thrombosis. The candidate should be able to work independently. He/She should be competent to read the literature, assist with designing and planning of projects and oversee the collaborations, manage animal models and to carry out research on the assigned project.
- Design, plan and carry out experiments in collaboration with PI. Provide assistance and oversight of staff, and graduate students ensuring projects are being completed according to the research plan. Advise/Assist in developing improved techniques, project methods, or procedures.
- Oversee general lab operations including inventory, lab organization and maintain certain equipment/facilities. Must demonstrate compliance with policies, procedures and regulations of the Animal Resource Center, IACUC, Animal Welfare Act, Public Health Service Policy, AAALAC guidelines and other applicable regulatory guidelines for which essential training will be provided.
- Analyze and record results. Assist in manuscript preparation.
- Perform/supervise rodent husbandry including breeding, genotyping and maintain an accurate animal database.
- Present results in laboratory meetings and other scientific meetings.
- Plan and execute research in collaboration with other investigators on and off campus.
- Development and discovery of new methodologies and validation of the existing approaches on the risks, mechanisms and detection of animal prion transmission to humans and other prion-related projects.
- Develop and adapt laboratory techniques.
- Analyze the data generated from these experiments and provide high level analysis to PI.
- Develop and maintain an external reputation through activities such as publishing in high quality peer-reviewed journals, refereeing and conference presentations.
- Support writing grant applications, research protocols, publications
- Assist with management of daily laboratory operations and training of new students and staff.
- Assist to manage lab wastes, organize lab inventory and take care of lab safety.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Department: Continuous contact with department research staff to collaborate on research goals. Frequent contact with department administration to resolve any ordering or billing issues that may arise.
University: Frequent contact with collaborators outside of the department to develop and carry out research. Moderate contact with EHS, and ARC staff.
External: Moderate contact with collaborators outside of the university to develop research projects. Occasional contact with outside vendors for purchasing research materials.
Students: Regular contact with students in the lab.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY Train and oversee rotation students and provide essential technical advice at bench to graduate students and take part in discussions with them.
QUALIFICATIONS Experience: 3+ years after PhD Education: PhD in life sciences with experience in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry.
- Ability to work well with others and to work independently strictly following directions and protocols.
- Ability to collect and analyze data with attention to detail and do multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Effective oral and written communication skills. Must be able to effectively communicate with the PI/supervisor as well as other lab members.
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work and communicate with various individuals within and external to the University.
- Good organization skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines. Must demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy and follow-through on assigned tasks.
- High degree of independence.
- Self-motivated with excellent problem solving skills. Must demonstrate good analytical skills, sound judgment and good decision-making.
- Ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively within a team.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to rely on and follow instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Ability to operate laboratory equipment and learn to operate new instruments
- Familiarity with policies and procedures of lab and chemical safety
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office, database applications, and with internet navigation.
- Willingness to learn new techniques, procedures, processes, and software programs as needed.
- Ability to organize, maintain and prepare accurate records The following qualities are also greatly valued: highly motivated, responsible, dependable and a self-starter; excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills; good organization skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines; attention to detail and accuracy; ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively with others on and off campus.
- Extensive experience in Molecular Genetics, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology & Vascular Biology.
- Handling of mice, mouse breeding and genotyping to produce specific combinations of genes, double or triple knockout mice, inducible specific knockout, confirmation of germ line transmission in chimeric mice
- Surgical skills: mouse blood drawing, skin wounding, bone marrow isolation and tail vein injection
- Chemistry background for design and testing of peptides
- DNA and RNA isolation from blood, plasma, frozen tissue, cell culture and other samples using various techniques
- RNA expression analysis using real-time RT-PCR, SYBR Green PCR, and multiplex RT-PCR
- Molecular cloning amplification, Western blotting, Immunoprecipitation and Co-immunoprecipitation, Cell culture and cell signaling experimental design, Cell proliferation and apoptosis assays
- Isolation of leukocytes, platelets, and endothelial cells from murine blood
- Establishment of primary cell lines
- Leukocyte function assays: adhesion, chemotaxis, reactive oxygen species generation (optional but highly desirable)
- Site-directed mutagenesis, use of siRNA and CRISPR/Cas approaches to influence gene expression
- Knowledge of coagulation assays (optional)
- Image acquisition skills: regular microscope and confocal microscope operation.
- Computer software skills: Prism, Excel, Image J, Photoshop
Mostly, will work at bench performing experiments that requires long time standing and sitting. Will perform some experiments in the animal room, standing in the laminar flow hood. Involves walking between different buildings in the University. Will involve travel to meetings or conferences if secured travel funding. Must be willing to adjust working hours according to the nature of ongoing experiments and many times work extended hours to finish the experiments. Working on weekends and holidays are required depending on the ongoing experiments and need to accelerate data generation and data collections.
DIVERSITY STATEMENT In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email resumes or CVs to Evi X. Stavrou at email@example.com.