Date: October 2019
Title: Research Associate
Location: Wood Building
Supervisor Name and Title: Xinglong Wang, Associate Professor Dept of Pathology
This is a key position within the laboratory and will be responsible for planning and execution of experiments in close collaboration with the Principal Investigator. The qualified candidate will also be involved in the preparation of manuscripts and grant proposals.
- Design, plan and carry out experiments in collaboration with PI. Provide assistance and oversight of staff, post-doctoral scholars and graduate students/fellows ensuring projects are being completed according to the research plan.
- Oversee general lab operations including inventory, lab organization and maintain certain equipment/facilities. Must demonstrate compliance with policies, procedures and regulations of the Animal Resource Center, IACUC, Animal Welfare Act, Public Health Service Policy, AAALAC guidelines and other applicable regulatory guidelines for which essential training will be provided.
- Develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyze, interpret, summarize and record results; provide high level analysis to PI.
- Preparation of grant proposals.
- Lead writing of publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Plan and execute research in collaboration with other investigators on and off campus.
- Develop and maintain an external reputation through activities such as publishing in high quality peer-reviewed journals, refereeing and conference presentations.
- Assist to manage lab wastes, organize lab inventory and take care of lab safety.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Department: Admin staff - Occasional
University: Environment health and safety, Animal Resource Center - Occasional
External: Collaborators - Occasional
Students: Graduate and undergraduate - Occasional
Experience: >3 years of post-graduate research experience (after PhD)
- Ability to work effectively independently strictly following directions and protocols, and to work well collaboratively within a team. Must be highly motivated, responsible and dependable.
- Good organization skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines. Must demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy, good time management, ability to work on several projects simultaneously and follow-through on assigned tasks.
- Good problem-solving skills; must demonstrate good analytical skills, sound judgment and good decision-making.
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work and communicate with various individuals within and external to the University.
- Must demonstrate flexibility and ability to work under pressure, must be able and willing to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; Must be able to effectively communicate with the PI/supervisor as well as other lab members.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality, and to consent patients for clinical-translational studies.
- Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures in the neurodegeneration research.
- Familiarity and compliance with policies and procedures of lab and chemical safety and laboratory animal handling and welfare.
- Ability to organize, maintain and prepare accurate records.
- Ability to rely on and follow instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Ability to operate laboratory equipment and learn to operate new instruments.
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office, database applications, and with internet navigation.
- Willingness to learn new techniques, procedures, processes, and software programs as needed.
General laboratory environment. Mostly, will work at bench performing experiments that requires long time standing and sitting. Will perform some experiments in the animal room and standing at the laminar flow hood. Involves walking between different building on campus.
Must be willing to adjust working hours according to the nature of ongoing experiments and many times work extended hours to finish the experiments. Working on weekends and holidays are required depending on the ongoing experiments and need to accelerate data generation and data collections.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants should send their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org