Date: October 2021
Title: Research Associate Specialized Technical Skills (STS) (Biostatistician) #137
Department: Medicine (Cardiology)
Location: Wolstein Research Building, 4th floor
Supervisor Name and Title: Sanjay Rajagopalan, Director Cardiovascular Research Institute (CVRI) and Chief Cardiovascular Medicine, Harrington Heart and Vascular Institute (HHVI), Professor of Medicine and Radiology
The Research Associate Specialized Technical Skills (STS) (Biostatistician) will play a leading role in managing all aspects of data analysis for the Translational Sciences Unit (TSU) and its associated nationally reputable programs (CINEMA and CLARIFY). The Research Associate STS (Biostatistician) will support research projects with the aim of fostering translational and implementation science research in patients at risk for heart and vascular complications in the Cardiovascular Research Institute at Case Western Reserve University. The Research Associate STS (Biostatistician) will be responsible for implementing and fully supporting statistical analysis and information visualization (e.g. figures, graphs) for the TSU and all its ancillary programs, as well as providing data analysis and management of multiple NIH funded trials.
- Work with the clinical collaborative team to provide biostatistical support to clinical investigators from the hypothesis generation phase through the dissemination of results and advise on protocol development. (20%)
- Determine appropriate statistical approaches and conduct complex statistical analysis of data from experimental and observational clinical research studies in the TSU. (20%)
- Prepare written reports for projects that summarize the analysis of research data, interpret the findings, and provide conclusions and recommendations. (20%)
- Manage a large prospective registry (CLARIFY) involving >60,000 individuals with sophistical phenotypic measures of heart and vascular health. (10%)
- Manage a patient registry (CINEMA-CMCA) involving >200 individuals with clinically relevant longitudinal data. (10%)
- Assist in-house efforts to improve data visualization for CLARIFY and CINEMA (10%)
- Actively participate in manuscript preparation and submission of grants. (10%)
- Supervise student trainees in experimental design and data analysis of a variety of projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Department: Routine contact with PI and laboratory members
University: Occasional contact with collaborating departments to share information
External: Maintain and develop contacts with external collaborators
Students: Oversee and train students
No direct supervisory responsibilities.
Experience: 1 to 2 of experience in biostatistical analysis desired. Less experience and demonstrated advanced skill will be considered. Advanced knowledge and experience with statistical software packages including R, SAS, Power Bl and other related data visualization software. Individuals who are experienced in MS SQL Server, complex analysis of large data sets including use of unbiased approaches such as Machine Learning etc and familiarity with graphical software (e.g. GraphPad and Adobe Photoshop) would be an added advantage but not necessary.
Education/Licensing: PhD preferred or Master of Science (MS) with equivalent specialized skills in Biostatistics, Epidemiology required.
- Proficiency in R, SAS, Power Bl and other related data visualization software.
- Experience in one or more of the following is strongly preferred: MS SQL Server, complex analysis of large data sets including use of unbiased approaches such as Machine Learning etc
- Familiarity with graphical software (e.g. GraphPad and Adobe Photoshop) preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills; must demonstrate the ability to effectively and professionally communicate and work with various individuals within and external to the University.
- Strong organization skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines. Must demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy, time management skills, and follow-through. Must be able to work under pressure and conform to shifting priorities, demands and timeline.
- Ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively within a team. Must be highly motivated, responsible, dependable and a self-starter.
- Effective problem-solving skills; must demonstrate innovation and creativity, excellent analytical skills, sound judgment and good decision-making.
General laboratory environment. Expected to work after hours/weekends if required by experiments.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Apply to Heidi.firstname.lastname@example.org