Title: Sr Research Associate
Department: The Center for AI in Drug Discovery
School: School of Medicine
Location: Robbins Research Building
Supervisor Name and Title: Rong Xu, Associate Professor
The Center for AI in Drug Discovery at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio is seeking a research scientist to contribute to our core research focused on health outcomes research, evaluating the effectiveness of drugs in different populations, and disease understanding (including both genetic and social determinants of health). These studies aim at develop innovative statistical, data mining, machine learning, and bioinformatics algorithms and software systems. He or she will have an opportunity to develop independent research goals within the scope of the larger project, and will join a vibrant research team that includes a strong partnership among biologists, clinical and computer scientists.
- Develop statistical, data mining, machine learning, and bioinformatics algorithms and software systems for outcomes research.
- Develop causal inference methods and decision analysis to evaluate effectiveness of drugs using patient electronic health records.
- Develop computational models that robustly correlate complex laboratory-derived information with phenotypic and clinical information.
- Collaborate with biomedical researchers and clinicians in testing computationally generated hypotheses in patients.
- Provide leadership to the development of presentations and publications related to research projects as the lead author.
- Participate in weekly group meetings and regularly meet collaborators from hospitals.
- Write independent research grants, including institutional pilot grants, foundational grants, federal grants (such as NIH K99/R00, R21, R01) 10% effort towards this initiative
- Ph.D or M.D degree in biomedical science
- Strong programming experience in Java, Python, C++, or Perl and statistical programming.
- Must demonstrate willingness to learn new knowledge, techniques, and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability through publications or patents.
- Experience with clinical data including patient electronic health records
- Ability to work collaboratively in a small team environment.
- Highly self-motivated individual; strong organization skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines; proven ability to successfully follow-through on assigned projects.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
There are no special health or safety hazards, environmental conditions or hazardous equipment or supplies. A successful candidate will be provided with an independent office and a laptop. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends as needed. To apply, please send a CV, contact information for three references, and one sample publication by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.