Senior Research Associate
Date: June 24, 2020
Title: Senior Research Associate
Department: Cardiology, CWRU Cardiovascular Research Institute School: Medicine
Location: Wolstein 4th floor
Supervisor Name and Title: Dr. Sanjay Rajagopalan, Professor of Medicine, Chief of Cardiology, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center and Case School of Medicine
New position available in the CWRU Cardiovascular Research Institute (CVRI), focused on cardiometabolic research. The position centers on running the CVRI mouse metabolic phenotyping core, a SOM-sanctioned core open to internal and external users. Additionally, the position requires working with the division chief on planning experiments to examine the role of air pollution in cardiometabolic disease and writing up the findings for grant funding and publication in top journals. Candidate should have hands-on experience with using the Promethion metabolic cage system (Sable systems, Las Vegas, NV), maintaining the equipment, as well as analyzing said data. The optimal candidate has experience in directing and managing laboratory staff as well as handling the finances of a core including billing users and managing laboratory spending. Some wet lab work is also required (as part of the core and in conjunction with the Rajagopalan lab) including mouse handling, tissue collection (including whole brain and hypothalamus), RNA/DNA isolation, glucose and insulin tolerance tests (service offered by core), and intracranial stereotactic injections in mice. Knowledge of Agilent iLabs is a plus as is handling of large datasets.
- Communicate/discuss experimental approaches with the principal investigator (10%)
- Carry out complex research, analyzed data, and prepare publication quality figures as director of the core and with the lab of Sanjay Rajagopalan (20%)
- Help prepare grant and manuscript submissions (30%)
- Supervise core and laboratory staff, handle billing of core users, maintain core equipment (30%).
- Maintain IACUC protocol for the metabolic cage core, including making sure core passes IACUC inspections (twice yearly) (5%)
Expected to work after hours/weekends if required by experiments (5%) Perform other duties as assigned
Department: Routine contact with PI (no less than once per week) and regular core users.
University: Routine contact with users of the core (daily).
External: Maintain and develop contacts with external collaborators, core users may be outside of CWRU (as needed).
Students: Contact with students (as needed).
May supervise core staff and research assistants.
Experience: 5+ years of post-doctoral experience required. Education/Licensing: Ph.D. degree required.
- Candidate must be a self-motivated, critical thinker with a good work ethic and a collaborative demeanor.
- Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a research lab.
- Experience with metabolic caging of mice and bioinformatics.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Initially will be expected to contribute to manuscript and grant writing.
- Will be expected to apply for own funding within three years
General laboratory environment. Must be willing to work with mice.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email a resume/CV and a cover letter to both Lopa Das at l email@example.com and Kristen Camputaro at k firstname.lastname@example.org