Senior Research Associate - Genetics and Genome Sciences
Title: Senior Research Associate
Department: Genetics and Genome Sciences
Supervisor Name and Title: Berkley Gryder, Assistant Professor
Please email your CV/Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is a senior level position. The Senior Research Associate will collaborate with faculty, department staff, post-doctoral fellows, students and technicians in the performance and analysis of complex and advanced research studies in genetics and genome sciences. The individual in this position will participate in three-dimensional epigenomics, phase condensates in gene control, RNA biology and transcriptional mechanisms, therapeutic development for various cancers, and emerging technologies in biology/genomics/chemistry.
- Devise and implement complex new protocols for RNA biology, biochemistry, and chromatin biology. 10%
- Develop the necessary epigenomic tools for accurate interpretation of the topological gene regulatory architectures. 10%
- Coordinate other researchers in the conduct and analysis of research studies. 10%
- Manages and maintains cultures of cell lines and genetic engineered materials. 10%
- Work with and guide others in the lab to carry out functional analysis. 10%
- Collaborate with PI in preparation of manuscripts and supervise students. 10%
- Carry out basic molecular biology techniques including but not limited to plasmid construction and cloning, PCR/RT-PCR, DNA/RNA sequencing, western blotting, library construction, high resolution microscopic operations. 10%
- Analyze all data and co-author research manuscripts with lab research teams. 5%
- Synthesize literature and generates data for the development of grant proposals. 5%
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Department: Daily contact with department staff
University: Frequent contact with department administrators
External: Regular contact with outside collaborators.
Students: Frequent interaction with graduate students, bioinformaticians, and technicians.
Supervise student employees and/or temporary employees and volunteers.
PhD education in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Genetics, or other related fields.
MSc or above education in Data Science or Bioinformatics.
5+ years of postdoctoral training related to transcription, RNA biology, chromatin biology, or human genetics is required.
2+ years of knowledge and experience in data science or bioinformatics
Must have multiple first author publications in peer reviewed journals.
Must have leadership experience.
- Demonstrated excellent ability to conduct and analyze biological research data.
- Advanced knowledge of epigenomics, analysis of next-generation sequence data, biology, biochemistry, genetics, and data science.
- Ability to perform cell cultures and manage genetic engineered materials.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated expertise in team-oriented environments.
- Maintain strong organization skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Must demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy, and time management skills.
- Effective management skills: ability to lead, train, work with, and elicit cooperation from team members and staff.
- Work effectively, independently, and collaboratively within a team.
- Must be highly motivated, responsible, dependable and a self-starter.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Effective problem-solving skills; must demonstrate excellent analytical skills, sound judgment and good decision-making.
- Must demonstrate flexibility and ability to work under pressure; must be able and willing to work in a fast-paced, changing environment, and conform to shifting priorities, demands and timeline.
- Willingness and ability to rely on and follow instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Ability to operate laboratory equipment.
- Must demonstrate willingness to learn new techniques, procedures, processes, and computer programs as needed.
Identify the working conditions and physical demands which relate to the essential functions of the position, such as working indoors/outdoors, working with exposures to hazards, including recombinant viral vectors, etc. Include special considerations for the position, such as occasional travel or necessary overtime.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.