Case Western Reserve University seeks an outstanding leader to serve as its Senior Vice President for Research and Technology Management. This position reports directly to the President of the University and will hold the Veale Professorship for Technology Transfer and Commercialization.
Responsibilities and Duties:
As the university’s Senior Research Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for increasing the scale and impact of the research enterprise at Case Western Reserve University. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Closely collaborate with the Office of the Provost, deans and faculty to recruit and retain outstanding faculty who are active researchers, and to support scholarship, research excellence and national and international recognition.
• Work with the administration and faculty to increase research funding for the university.
• Effectively manage the staff of the Office of Research and Technology Management, including creating a work environment that fosters diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Oversee research compliance and regulatory responsibilities with internal standards and federal guidelines from NIH, DOD, CDC, CMS, FDA and others.
• Develop strategies to facilitate transdisciplinary research across Case Western Reserve faculties, schools and partner institutions.
• Streamline review of partnership research documents and policies.
• Provide institution-wide support for research advancement that is equitable and encourages inclusive excellence and diversity.
• Work collaboratively with the university’s inventors to assist with patent applications and licensing of invented technologies to commercial enterprises.
• Develop and support major interdisciplinary research collaborations.
• Oversee research development and execution operations.
• Review and upgrade research infrastructure.
• Review, align and develop strategic institutional partnerships.
• Create opportunities for faculty training in seeking research support.
• Promote faculty service on national and international boards and committees.
• Celebrate faculty research and technology accomplishments through university-level recognitions and awards related to research and technology transfer.
• Ensure that research advances and highlights are widely disseminated.
• Raise Case Western Reserve’s national and international research profile through a deliberate strategy of communications, events, awards, etc.
Qualified candidates should possess an earned doctorate or other appropriate terminal degree from an accredited higher education institution and an outstanding scholarly and funded research record that warrants an appointment at the full professor level; significant leadership experience in research and/or technology management within higher education, government or industry; demonstrable success building and supporting translational research programs; and a commitment to working with a diverse population of faculty, staff and students. Those who have a track record of success in being awarded federal grants and contracts will be especially welcome, as will be those who have served on federal grant and contract peer review committees.
Compensation arrangements are competitive and commensurate with both experience and achievement of the selected candidate.
How to Apply:
Interested, qualified individuals should provide an electronic version to email@example.com of their curriculum vitae along with a bullet point summary of key accomplishments in each leadership role held. The submission of a letter expressing interest is optional, albeit very welcome.
Case Western Reserve University has retained Ilene H. Nagel and Steven R. Lerman of Education Executives to assist with this search. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and applications should be sent via e-mail to:
Ilene H. Nagel & Steven R. Lerman
Education Executives, LLC
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Equity at 216.368.3066 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.