New, incoming CWRU students have the option of submitting their ID card photograph online. For students starting in the summer or fall, online submission is available starting in early April. For students starting in the spring semester, online submissions open in November.
If you are a new employee or faculty member or a current student, you may need to get your ID card photograph taken in person at Access Services. Email email@example.com for more information.
If you use a name other than your legal name and would like this reflected on your ID card, review the Preferred Name Policy on the University Registrar website, and then add your preferred name in SIS. It may take several business days for your preferred name request to be processed. You will then be able to select your preferred name when submitting your ID card photo.
Taking Your Own ID Photo
Photos that do not meet the Photo Requirements will be rejected and will need to be retaken. To avoid having your photo rejected, follow these guidelines for taking an acceptable ID photo:
- Photos should be in color, and recent enough (within the last six months) to be a good likeness of you. Make sure you have very good lighting on your face to eliminate shadows (use your camera flash or face a large window for natural lighting).
- You must be the only person in the photograph.
- Photos must be headshots and your head must fill at least 75% of the photo. Be sure to include a little space just above your head and below your shoulders in the photo.
- Photos must be clear, front view, full face, and taken in normal street attire. Directly face the camera and do not tilt your head or turn your body sideways.
- No hats or dark glasses or any other obstruction of the face, including head resting on hands.
- Photos should be taken against a plain light background. Any light-colored wall will do. If you don't have plain white or light-colored walls to stand in front of, tape a piece of white poster board or drape a white sheet behind you.
- Your face must be upright and not distorted (stretched or shrunk) in either dimension.
- In most circumstances, your senior photograph will not be appropriate.
- Photographs from smartphones are permitted as long as they meet these guidelines!
Image Dimensions and Size Limit
The photo must be in JPG format, at least 216 pixels wide and 288 pixels tall, and no larger than 4MB in size. You will be able to crop the photo to meet the final requirements after it has been uploaded.
Proof of Identity
In order to confirm your identity, you must provide a copy of a valid government-issued photo ID. If you do not provide valid proof of identity, your submission will not be processed.
- Current US drivers license, state ID card or military ID card (both sides)
- Current passport (photo page) or United States visa
These documents can be submitted in JPG, PNG and PDF formats with a maximum size of 4MB.
If you are unable to provide government-issued photo ID, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Completing Your Submission
- Click on the “Submit Your Photo” button below. You will be prompted to log in with your CWRU network ID and may be asked to complete DUO authentication. If you encounter an authorization error after logging in, online submissions may not be open yet. You can check back later, or contact the email address provided on the error page for more help.
- After logging in, look for the "CWRU ID Card Photograph" heading. Click the arrow to the left of it to view the instructions.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions provided on the page to upload your prepared ID photo and proof of identity. You will have the opportunity to crop your ID photo during the process. Preview your photo to ensure that it meets all of the listed requirements before submitting the form.
- After you finalize and submit your photo, Access Services staff will review your submission during business hours.
- You will be notified via email whether your photo was accepted or rejected by Access Services with a reason for rejection.