Resources for students and advisors


Declaring a Major

To declare a major, pick up a major/minor declaration form from the Office of Undergraduate Studies (Sears 357) and bring it to the Biology department for a signature from the Undergraduate Coordinator Katie Bingman (Email for an appointment). You will be assigned to a faculty advisor.

Major Requirements
(click on the links below for a list of courses required for each major)

Bachelor of Arts in Biology

Bachelor of Science in Biology

Bachelor of Science in Systems Biology

Certificate of Global Health in Biology

Standard Handout - Undergraduate Curriculum in Biology

Independent Research in Biology

The Biology Department encourages student to participate in laboratory research (BIOL 388, 388S 390) and/or library research (BIOL 389).  Students may choose to work with faculty in the Biology Department or students choosing to work with a member of another department must also have a Biology faculty member act as Biology Sponsor.  Click below for the permit request form.


Turn your completed forms into the Biology department office. For questions, email Katie Bingman.

Graduating with Honors

The Undergraduate Honors Program in Biology is intended to recognize those students who have demonstrated excellence in the conduct of a research project in the biological sciences, the preparation of a written thesis, and the defense of the thesis.  Independent research for Undergraduate Honors must be conducted under the auspices of the Department of Biology in collaboration with a Biology Department faculty member or other approved investigator.

Academic Requirements:

In order to qualify for graduation with Honors in Biology, students must maintain a 3.2 grade point average, with a 3.5 in the major.  Students must also have completed at least one semester of research (BIOL 388) prior to the semester in which they intend to defend the thesis.

For further information and a complete application, click below:



Q: When can I register?

A: click here to find out

Q: What is the Academic Advisement Report and how do I use it?

A: An Advisement Report or Academic Requirements report is a component of the Student Information System or SIS ( It matches courses a student has taken with the requirements of a particular degree program and enables the student to answer: What do I have to complete to graduate?

To find your AR Report, log into SIS. Underneath your name, you'll see a drop down menu. Choose "Academic Requirements" and hit the arrow key next to the drop down menu.

Scroll through the different sections. You'll notice arrow keys pointing down or to the side. These arrow keys collapse different sections or expand them. These sections will tell you how many hours you've taken in each requirement area and how many you still need.

If you're looking to find out which courses will count specifically toward your GER requirements, scroll down to the "CAS Breadth Requirement" section. Under breadth areas that are NOT complete, you'll see a box with any courses you currently have credit for and then a "View All" button at the bottom. Click "View All" to find all classes that would complete each requirement.

Please note that SIS should be used as a suppliment to your Biology coursework checksheet and consultation with your academic advisor.

For more SIS help, please see the following link or contact the registrar's office.

Q: My Academic Advisement Report is incorrect.

A: The Academic Advisement Report is a handy tool to ensure that you're on the right track for graduation and have completed the appropriate requirements in both Biology and for the College of Arts and Sciences. Find your Academic Report by logging into SIS and using the drop down menu under your name. If you think there is an issue with your AR, contact Undergraduate Studies for corrections. More information about the Academic Advising Report can be found on their website: DPR

Q: I want to take a class over the summer at another institution.

A: You must pick up an "Off Campus Study Request" from the Office of Undergraduate Studies and have it signed by an academic representative in Biology. The student is responsible for identifying the course he/she wants to take at another school and providing a course description and/or syllabus.

Q: I want to withdraw from a course.

A: Students may withdraw from a course until a certain point in the semester. See the Undergraduate Studies page regarding this. Click on "Withdraw" for more information.

Q: I want to repeat a course for a new grade.

A: Students have the option to re-take a course in which they have recieved an evaluative grade. Please note that the rules for repeated courses are changing. As of Fall 2014, BOTH grades will be calculated into the student's GPA (rather than just the grade received for the repeated course). More information on course repetition can be found here by clicking on "course repetion."

Q: How do I find out which Departmental Seminars are offered next semester?

A: Log into SIS.
Go to the "search" tab.
Under "course subject" enter "BIOL"
Under "term" enter "Fall 2013" (or appropriate semester)
Under "course list" select "SAGES Dept. Seminar"
hit "search."