The Case Comprehensive Cancer Center is an ever-evolving organization, with research aims and goals driven by our member activities. We have seen a lot of growth and advancement over the past few years. With the addition of new leaders and key recruits comes a natural shifting of research foci. After careful self-assessment, discussions in program meetings, and recommendations by our External Advisory Committee, we are realigning our research program structure.
Disease-focused programs were most impacted. We decided it was most beneficial to incorporate investigators across programs in “ribbons” instead of within stand-alone programs. We are eliminating the GU Malignancies Program, bringing our total research programs from seven to six. We have maintained critical scientific teams and interactions while simultaneously providing better scientific focus across the Cancer Center programs.
Scientific programs and their leaders are below. New programs and leaders are listed in bold.
- Cancer Genomics (previously GI Cancer Genetics) – John Wang, PhD and Peter Scacheri, PhD
- Immune Oncology (previously HICB) – Tim Chan, MD, PhD and Alex Huang, MD, PhD
- Population & Cancer Prevention (previously CPC) – Greg Cooper, MD and Fred Schumacher, PhD
- Development Therapeutics – John Letterio, MD, Yogen Saunthararajah, MD, PhD, Jennifer Yu, MD, PhD
- Cancer Imaging – Jim Basilion, PhD, Zhenghong Lee, PhD, Agata Exner, PhD
- Molecular Oncology – Justin Lathia, PhD and Quintin Pan, PhD
We are in the process of sending emails to all members regarding new program assignments. Please reach out to Cancer Center administration if you believe you fit better in another program than the one assigned. Also, please be on the lookout for additional information from program leaders regarding program meeting invites, and program-specific funding opportunities. Please plan to attend the annual scientific retreat (virtual, July 22-23) where we will talk more about new program aims, priorities and future directions.
As always, I welcome your thoughts and feedback on the future of our center.
Stan Gerson, MD
Director, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center