- Ph.D., Sociology, Bowling Green State University, 1976
- M.A., Sociology, Kent State University, 1973
- B.A., Sociology, Kent State University, 1971
Underserved Populations and Community Research
- Cancer/Cancer Survivorship
- Mental health of older adults
- Family caregivers/Alzheimer patients
Dr. Deimling’s research interests focus on the effects of life threatening illness on the mental health of older adults. More specifically, his interests include the study of cancer survivors, the coping resources they have developed, their health beliefs and behaviors, and the stress effects they have experienced and continue to experience. He also continues to conduct research and publish in the area of family caregiving for older adults with specific interest in the strain experienced by family members caring for Alzheimer’s patients.