Junior faculty members and established faculty wishing to refocus are invited to submit proposals for career development projects of up to $40,000 to be funded by the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center (Case CCC) - Tazania - Uganda HIV-associated Lung Cancer Collaborative. This training program is funded by the NCI U54 mechanism and is a collaboration between Case Western Reserve University (CWRU), the Case CCC, University Hospitals (UH), Makerere University, the Joint Clinical Research Center (JCRC), Uganda Cancer Institute, National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) Tanzania, Muhimbili National Hospital, and the Ocean Road Cancer Institute (ORCI). Full-time faculty at or above instructor-level at any of the aforementioned institutions are eligible.
Mentoring is an integral component of this Developmental Core led funding mechanism. Potential mentor (primary mentor) and mentoring committee (2-3 faculty members) should be specifically called out in application. The purpose of the mentoring committee is to provide a training relationship that focuses on the specific needs of the candidate in developing skills for cancer research. The committee is expected to meet 2/x per year virtually or in person. Both the mentor and mentee will be asked to assess the effectiveness of the interaction every 6 months.
The review committee will consist of faculty from U.S., Uganda and Tanzanian participating institutions.
- Significance and relevance of the proposal HIV-associated lung cancer
- Scientific merit
- Strength of applicant
- Mentorship plan
- Value added to overall goals of the U54
- Likelihood of development into independent funding.
- Research Proposal (5 pages maximum, Arial size 11 font)
- Specific Aims (1 page)
- Background and significance (1-2 page)
- Experimental Design and methods (2-3 pages)
- References/literature cited (does not count toward 5 page max; upload separately)
- NIH-format biographical sketches:
- Applicant – in “Personal Statement” section, include long-term career goals and interests in translational research
- Research mentor
- Mentoring committee
- Detailed budget using Case CCC pilot budget form
- Letter of commitment from research mentor to the translational research project and research mentoring. This letter must include a mentorship plan.
- Letter from Department Head with commitment to faculty position with 75% protected time for research and training for 2 years as a U54 Career Development Scholar.
- Letters of recommendation from 3 individuals knowledgeable about the candidate’s clinical, research performance, commitment to a research career and potential for a successful career in HIV-associated cancer translational research.
July 18, 2022, with funding expected to begin September 2022.
Contact email@example.com for more information.