I have been involved in cardiovascular research as Principal Investigator for 13 years. My laboratory is recognized for studies highlighting the role of a family of factors termed Kruppel-like factors (KLFs) in diverse biological processes. Specifically, our efforts have identified key regulatory roles for KLFs in cardiovascular biology, systemic metabolic homeostasis, and innate immunity. These discoveries have opened new areas of investigation and contributed to growing appreciation that KLFs are nodal regulators of cellular homeostasis and tissue function. This work has led to publications in top-tier journals including Nature, Cell Metabolism, Nature Communications, Science Translational Medicine, Immunity, PNAS, Journal of Clinical Investigation, and Journal of Experimental Medicine.
I also have a long track record of successfully training independent investigators. I have had the opportunity to successfully mentor a number of individuals, many of whom have been fortunate recipient of NIH K-grants (total 16), and numerous AHA post-doctoral fellowships/NIH F32/foundation fellowships. Many of these individuals have established independent research programs with R-level funding at leading academic medical centers including Harvard Medical School, University of Massachusetts, University of Pittsburgh, Ohio State University, Case Western Reserve University, and the University of Tokyo. I am recipient of mentoring awards from Harvard Medical School and Case Western Reserve University. I have also served as PI of an NIH T32 grant focused on training of pre-doctoral and post-doctoral candidates.
Finally I have had a number of leadership roles both locally and nationally. At my home institution I current serve as Chief Scientific Officer for University Hospital Health System and Vice-Dean for Medical Sciences at Case Western Reserve University. Nationally, I recently served as President of the America Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI), one of the oldest and most prestigious honorific societies for physician-scientists.
- 2010: Chair, Vascular Cell and Molecular Biology, Study Section, NIH
- 2004-2006: Assistant Professor, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- 2004-2006: Director, Program in Cardiovascular Transcriptional Biology, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- 2000-2004: Instructor, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
Below are the original four publications that provided the early links between KLFs and metabolism, cardiovascular biology, and innate immunity. In the section of “Contributions to Science” I provide a more detailed summary and more recent publications.
- Gray S, Feinberg MW, Hull S, Kuo CT, Watanabe M, SenBanerjee S, Jain MK. The Kruppel-like Factor KLF15 regulates the insulin-sensitive glucose transporter GLUT4. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2002; 277(37): 34322-8. PMID: PMC12097321.
- SenBanerjee S, Lin Z, Atkins GB, Grief DM, Rao RM, Kumar A, Feinberg MW, Chen Z, Simon DI, Luscinskas FW, Michel TM, Gimbrone MA, Garcia-Cardena G, Jain MK. KLF2 is a novel transcriptional regulator of endothelial proinflammatory activation. Journal of Experimental Medicine 2004: 199(10):1305-1315 PMCID: PMC2211816.
- Fisch S, Gray S, Heymans S, Haldar S, Wang B, Pfister O, Cui L, Kumar A, Lin Z, Senbanerjee S, Das H, Petersen CA, Mende U, Burleigh BA, Zhu Y, Pinto Y, Liao R, Jain MK. Kruppel-like factor 15 is a novel regulator of cardiomyocyte hypertrophy. PNAS, 2007; 104(17): 7074-9. PMCID: PMC1855421.
- Das H, Kumar A, Lin Z, Patino W, Hwang P, Feinberg MW, Majumder PK, Jain MK. The Kruppel-llike Factor 2 regulates proinflammatory activation of monocytes. PNAS, 2006; 103(17): 6653-6658. PMCID:PMC1458936.
Selected List of Publications
- KLF2 and KLF4 control endothelial identity and vascular integrity. Sangwung P, Zhou G, Nayak L, Chan ER, Kumar S, Kang DW, Zhang R, Liao X, Lu Y, Sugi K, Fujioka H, Shi H, Lapping SD, Ghosh CC, Higgins SJ, Parikh SM, Jo H, Jain MK., 2017 Feb 23
- BRG1 and BRM function antagonistically with c-MYC in adult cardiomyocytes to regulate conduction and contractility. Willis MS, Holley DW, Wang Z, Chen X, Quintana M, Jensen BC, Tannu M, Parker J, Jeyaraj D, Jain MK, Wolfram JA, Lee HG, Bultman SJ. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2017 Feb 20.
- miR-483 Targeting of CTGF Suppresses Endothelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition: Therapeutic Implications in Kawasaki Disease. He M, Chen Z, Martin M, Zhang J, Sangwung P, Woo B, Tremoulet AH, Shimizu C, Jain MK, Burns JC, Shyy JY.Circ Res. 2017 Jan 20;120(2):354-365.
- Stress-Activated Kinase Mitogen-Activated Kinase Kinase-7 Governs Epigenetics of Cardiac Repolarization for Arrhythmia Prevention. Chowdhury SK, Liu W, Zi M, Li Y, Wang S, Tsui H, Prehar S, Castro S, Zhang H, Ji Y, Zhang X, Xiao R, Zhang R, Lei M, Cyganek L, Guan K, Millar CB, Liao X, Jain MK, Boyett MR, Cartwright EJ, Shiels HA, Wang X.Circulation. 2017 Feb 14; 135(7):683-699.
- Experimental Lung Injury Reduces KLF2 to Increase Endothelial Permeability via Regulation of RAPGEF3-Rac1 Signaling. Huang RT, Wu D, Meliton A, Oh MJ, Krause M, Lloyd JA, Nigdelioglu R, Hamanaka RB, Jain MK, Birukova A, Kress JP, Birukov KG, Mutlu GM, Fang Y. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Nov 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Deleting an Nr4a1 Super-Enhancer Subdomain Ablates Ly6Clow Monocytes while Preserving Macrophage Gene Function. Thomas GD, Hanna RN, Vasudevan NT, Hamers AA, Romanoski CE, McArdle S, Ross KD, Blatchley A, Yoakum D, Hamilton BA, Mikulski Z, Jain MK, Glass CK, Hedrick CC.Immunity. 2016 Nov 15;45(5):975-987. doi: 10.1016/j.immuni.2016.10.011.
- Genome-wide analysis of long intergenic non-coding RNAs in chickpea and their potential role in flower development. Khemka N, Singh VK, Garg R, Jain M. Sci Rep. 2016 Sep 15;6:33297. doi: 10.1038/srep33297.
- KLF15 Enables Rapid Switching between Lipogenesis and Gluconeogenesis during Fasting. Takeuchi Y, Yahagi N, Aita Y, Murayama Y, Sawada Y, Piao X, Toya N, Oya Y, Shikama A, Takarada A, Masuda Y, Nishi M, Kubota M, Izumida Y, Yamamoto T, Sekiya M, Matsuzaka T, Nakagawa Y, Urayama O, Kawakami Y, Iizuka Y, Gotoda T, Itaka K, Kataoka K, Nagai R, Kadowaki T, Yamada N, Lu Y, Jain MK, Shimano H Cell Rep. 2016 Aug 30;16(9):2373-86. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2016.07.069.
- Exercise-induced endobronchial hemorrhage: a rare clinical presentation. Kruavit A, Jain M, Fielding D, Heraganahally S. Respirol Case Rep. 2016 May 5;4(4):e00163. doi: 10.1002/rcr2.163.
- Incidentally detected ectopic ampulla of vater in the antrum in a patient of colonic tuberculosis. Jain M, Rai GP, Pokharna RK, Nepalia S, Ashdhir P.Trop Gastroenterol. 2015 Oct-Dec;36(4):283-5. No abstract available.
- Reduced Krüppel-Like Factor 2 Aggravates Glomerular Endothelial Cell Injury and Kidney Disease in Mice with Unilateral Nephrectomy. Zhong F, Mallipattu SK, Estrada C, Menon M, Salem F, Jain MK, Chen H, Wang Y, Lee K, He JC.Am J Pathol. 2016 Aug;186(8):2021-31. doi: 10.1016/j.ajpath.2016.03.018.
- Transcription Factor KLF2 in Dendritic Cells Downregulates Th2 Programming via the HIF-1α/Jagged2/Notch Axis. Xiong Y, Lingrel JB, Wüthrich M, Klein BS, Vasudevan NT, Jain MK, George M, Deepe GS Jr. MBio. 2016 Jun 14;7(3). pii: e00436-16. doi: 10.1128/mBio.00436-16.
- Krüppel-Like Factor 15 Mediates Glucocorticoid-Induced Restoration of Podocyte Differentiation Markers. Mallipattu SK, Guo Y, Revelo MP, Roa-Peña L, Miller T, Ling J, Shankland SJ, Bialkowska AB, Ly V, Estrada C, Jain MK, Lu Y, Ma'ayan A, Mehrotra A, Yacoub R, Nord EP, Woroniecki RP, Yang VW, He JC. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Jan; 28(1):166-184. doi: 10.1681/ASN.2015060672.
- Characterization of Rice Homeobox Genes, OsHOX22 and OsHOX24, and Over-expression of OsHOX24 in Transgenic Arabidopsis Suggest Their Role in Abiotic Stress Response. Bhattacharjee A, Khurana JP, Jain M.Front Plant Sci. 2016 May 10; 7:627. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.00627.
- RNA-seq analysis of hippocampal tissues reveals novel candidate genes for drug refractory epilepsy in patients with MTLE-HS. Dixit AB, Banerjee J, Srivastava A, Tripathi M, Sarkar C, Kakkar A, Jain M, Chandra PS.Genomics. 2016 May; 107(5):178-88. doi: 10.1016/j.ygeno.2016.04.001.
- Catabolic Defect of Branched-Chain Amino Acids Promotes Heart Failure. Sun H, Olson KC, Gao C, Prosdocimo DA, Zhou M, Wang Z, Jeyaraj D, Youn JY, Ren S, Liu Y, Rau CD, Shah S, Ilkayeva O, Gui WJ, William NS, Wynn RM, Newgard CB, Cai H, Xiao X, Chuang DT, Schulze PC, Lynch C, Jain MK, Wang Y.Circulation. 2016 May 24; 133(21):2038-49.
- Transcriptome analysis in different rice cultivars provides novel insights into desiccation and salinity stress responses. Shankar R, Bhattacharjee A, Jain M. Sci Rep. 2016 Mar 31; 6:23719. doi: 10.1038/srep23719.
- De Novo Transcriptome Analysis of Medicinally Important Plantago ovata Using RNA-Seq. Kotwal S, Kaul S, Sharma P, Gupta M, Shankar R, Jain M, Dhar MK. PLoS One. 2016 Mar 4; 11(3):e0150273. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0150273.
- De novo transcriptome assembly and comprehensive expression profiling in Crocus sativus to gain insights into apocarotenoid biosynthesis. Jain M, Srivastava PL, Verma M, Ghangal R, Garg R. Sci Rep. 2016 Mar 3; 6:22456. doi: 10.1038/srep22456.
- Endoscopic management of pancreatic pseudocysts and walled-off pancreatic necrosis: A two-decade experience. Sharma SS, Singh B, Jain M, Maharshi S, Nijhawan S, Sapra B, Jhajharia A. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2016 Jan; 35(1):40-7. doi: 10.1007/s12664-016-0624-5.