BAKER, HENRY M. (2 Jan. 1856-12 Aug. 1929), active in Jewish benevolent associations, was born in Erie, Pa., the son of Kennard and Barbara Beitman Baker. He came to Cleveland in 1886, and after the turn of the century, became involved in real estate. Baker was interested in progressive philanthropy particularly as it related to the welfare of Jewish children, and he joined the Council Educatinal Alliance where he helped many boys and girls secure funds to develop their talents and found them employment. He served as president of the CEA for 10 years and was instrumental in establishing the Mt. Pleasant settlement house and in organizing Camp Alliance Camp in 1924 to provide a summer program for the CEA children. The 25-acre camp, located adjacent to CAMP WISE in Painesville, had a sliding scale of fees based on what a family could afford to pay. Baker himself spent time there to ensure that it was operated in the interests of the young campers it served. In 1930, the facility was renamed Camp Baker in his honor.
Baker was married to Sarah Mandelbaum, and they had two children, H. Clay and James M. A resident of CLEVELAND HTS., Baker died in Cleveland and was buried at Mayfield Cemetery.