BROWN, ANNA V. (1914-12 Nov. 1985) developed Cleveland's Office on Aging in 1971, heading it until her death. Born in Vivian, W.Va., to physician Joseph E. and Hattie Brown, the family moved to Cleveland in 1941. Brown received her bachelor's degree from Oberlin College (1938) and her master's degree from New York University. She worked as an auditor in the General Accounting Office, then as assistant executive secretary of the PHILLIS WHEATLEY ASSOC. In 1946 she became manager of her father's office.
From working with patients, Brown became an advocate for the elderly. In Feb. 1971, Mayor Carl Stokes appointed her executive director of the Mayor's Commission on Aging, which became a city department in July 1981. Her office brought in $2 million in 2 years; assembled a list of services for the elderly; supported Community Responsive Transit and winter assistance heating; and developed programs such as CareRing, checking on those living alone. Brown participated in the 1971 and 1981 White House Conferences on Aging, and in 1984 became president of the Natl. Council on Aging. She was president of the Urban Elderly Coalition and the Ohio Chap. of the Caucus on the Black Aged; was a consultant to the Congressional Black Caucus Brain Trust; and served on the boards of the ELIZA BRYANT HOME and the CLEVELAND CLINIC FOUNDATION. Brown received honorary degrees from Oberlin College and Miami University (1985). Brown's husband, Elmer Brown, whom she married on 7 June 1943, was the artist responsible for the freedom mural in the CITY CLUB OF CLEVELAND and worked for AMERICAN GREETINGS CORP. They had no children. Brown died in Cleveland.