The CITY RECORD is the official publication of the city of Cleveland and contains the proceedings of Cleveland City Council. The first City Record appeared with the date of 7 Jan. 1914, and was indicative of the change in city government that year. The premier issue indicated the aims of its compilers: it was to be a public document with no news matter or editorial comment. There would be no discussion of administration policies, and no laudatory matter concerning the administration or any of its members. There would also be no attempt to be a booster for the city or any of its public or private enterprises.
What the City Record would contain was the proceedings of City Council, legal advertising of the city, certain financial reports, and minutes of the Board of Control. There would also be such other information relating to the affairs of the city as would be determined by ordinance. The City Record would also act as a medium by which the voters, taxpayers, and those having business with the city would be informed of the transactions of the city.
The City Record was and still is published on a weekly basis. City Hall and the CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY both maintain complete sets of bound, indexed volumes. In 1914 a mail subscription to the City Record was 50 cents a year; in 1995, it was $60.00. Throughout its history, however, copies have been free at City Hall and public libraries. In 1994, approx. 1,100 copies were printed each week.
The City Record had practically the same size and format as the Council Proceedings, which the Record succeeded. Council Proceedings was first published on 10 Jan. 1860 and was also issued weekly.