The CLEVELAND DISCIPLES UNION was formed in Aug. 1887 to promote the cause of the Disciples of Christ church in Cleveland. Spurred on by the BAPTISTS, who had been organized for half a century, the Disciples first met at the FRANKLIN CIRCLE CHRISTIAN CHURCH. With 1,100 initial members, the union grew to 30,000 within 5 years. The organization, listed in the Cleveland telephone book as late as 1968 at 2056 E. 4th St., did missionary work and helped organize and support new congregations.
See also RELIGION.