The CLEVELAND PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY was established as the Cleveland Camera Club on 25 Jan. 1887 to advocate the leisure aspect of photography. By 18 June 1913 a controversial reorganization of the club for financial solvency resulted in the Cleveland Photographic Society, incorporated 9 Oct. 1920. In 1921 the society instituted the School of Photography, in which John Steinke conducted most classes until a faculty was assembled in 1928. The society's traveling shows premiered in 1922, when prints mounted on 8'x4' flats were exhibited at select locations throughout the city. Works of society members were displayed in 2 shows at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC, in 1926 and 1927. Through the Darkroom Door, the CPS's newsletter, has won numerous Photographic Society of America bulletin contests since its inception in 1923. Some accomplished members of the society have been Will Higbee, founder of the HIGBEE CO.; Henry Mayer, a newspaper photoengraver whose primary studies were industry and nature, and who chaired the school; Arnold Weinberger, a photographer who assumed duties at nearly all levels of operation; John Moddejonge, an associate of the Photographic Society of America and judge of international and domestic competitions; and Wm. Meyer, cofounder of the Northeastern Ohio Camera Club Council. In the 1990s the Cleveland Photographic Society retained its initial objectives in offering darkroom and clubroom facilities, seminars, showings, photo essays, outings, slide and print competitions, awards, and participation in the Northeastern Ohio Camera Club Council and the Photographic Society of America. In 1995 the Cleveland Photographic Society was located at 1549 Superior. The society's membership exceeded 100 amateur and professional photographers.