The CLEVELAND REPORTER was established midway through a 4-week newspaper strike in Nov. 1956, as a substitute for Cleveland's 3 closed dailies. The tabloid made its first appearance on 5 Nov. 1956, 3 days after publication ceased on a combined edition of the Plain Dealer, News, and Press. It was published by striking newsmen and printers, using the facilities of the United Publishing Co. at 6875 Broadway. Although crediting no editor, the masthead listed Mike Lapine as business manager and Ken Rankin as advertising manager. The Reporter circulated about 100,000 copies a day and covered such events as the Hungarian Rebellion, the Suez Crisis, and the 1956 elections. It ceased publication upon a preliminary strike settlement on 16 Nov., although complications kept the regular dailies closed through 28 Nov. 1956.