CWRU Links
Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

CLEVELAND TRAINING SCHOOL FOR COLORED NURSES

CLEVELAND TRAINING SCHOOL FOR COLORED NURSES

The CLEVELAND TRAINING SCHOOL FOR COLORED NURSES was established in 1898 to provide medical education for black women. At a time when black doctors and nurses had difficulty gaining access to hospitals for internships and practicums, the school's founder, Dr. Latrobe Motley, tried to purchase a hospital building to offer the nurses a practical training. The school's first class of 14 received 6 months training from Motley's home. In 1899 Motley and Dr. Jessie Dickerson incorporated the Bethesda Hospital & Training School for Nurses. This venture was apparently short-lived, as it never appeared in city directories. The Cleveland School for Colored Nurses was briefly listed at 189 Central Ave.